Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Is it rebuild time?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 05:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Is it rebuild time?

2000 M6, spec stage 2, 01-02 master & slave, drill mod

I have a hard time getting into third gear sporadically. Come to think of it my car has always been a little difficult when it comes to third sometimes.

Driving around town, going to third tends to feel more 'notchy' than going into other gears.

At the track, 2/5 times I will miss third. It doesn't grind and doesn't feel like a hydraulic problem, it just flat out won't go into gear (almost like what skipshift feels like). It's like if I don't get it in just right it's not going in at all. And sometimes it's just fine...

Could this be a bent shifter fork or something like that? No funny noises at all (no grinding, etc). Just flat out can't get into third when shifting in a frenzy.

I have almost 90k miles on it, so if I tear it down I'm just going to go the whole nine yards (shifters and stronger forks and whatever other junk I need).

Thoughts?
Old 05-19-2006, 05:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

most definatly the 3-4 shift fork. i had the same problem. when i took my trans out for my clutch (spec 3 with drill mod and new slave) i took my trans to D&D Perf. (i think they're a sponsor...) anyways. something like $350 for the forged shift fork. but while mine was out, i ended up having the whole thing re-built with all the goodies....$1300 later i've got a perfect trans.....side note, i only had 35k miles on my car when 3rd gear was already giving me a problem
Old 05-19-2006, 07:44 PM
TECH Addict

Tell me about the other goodies. I'm thinking shifter forks & synchros, what else can I do while I'm in there?
Old 05-20-2006, 09:44 AM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

No D&D does not sponsor any of the boards.

Thanks,
Amber
T56Rebuilds.com
Old 05-20-2006, 03:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ls1Joe No D&D does not sponsor any of the boards.
sorry didn't mean to mention them. i thought they were a sponsor?

anyways. yeah i got the new syncros, shift fork, billet shift keys, and a new input shaft with gear cluster (had a few chips on the input shaft so it needed replacing)

im guessing you just need the shift fork, but it's probably a good idea to have everything else gone over since you said you have close to 90K miles!

hope you have an easy time getting it out! it took me a night after work and a few beers to get mine out!
Old 05-20-2006, 07:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You very likely have an aluminum 3-4 shift fork. My 2000 did. The damn thing would be notchy going into the 3rd, and would poop out of 3rd sometimes. You will likley need a new 3-4 synchro assembly while replacing your shift fork.

I would wager with your abilities you would have no problem rebuilding your trans on your own. I rebuilt mine. There is a T56 rebuild manual available online at tremec website, and you can get a rebuild kit. I recommend T56 Joe, good group to deal with.
Old 05-22-2006, 07:54 AM
TECH Addict

See, now I went to the track yesterday, ran 16 times, and hit 3rd perfectly 16 times.

I hate to put the tranny under the knife when it still has life left...
Old 05-22-2006, 08:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by keliente
See, now I went to the track yesterday, ran 16 times, and hit 3rd perfectly 16 times.

I hate to put the tranny under the knife when it still has life left...
True, but the longer you wait the more you end up damaging. Best to get to it asap. Ask me how I know...

Quick Reply: Is it rebuild time?