College Football Rankings:

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 06:38 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default College Football Rankings:

TOP 25: POST-SPRING EDITION
1. Ohio State Buckeyes
OK, so only two defensive starters return. When did Jim Tressel not have a defense? And my, oh, my, that offense.
2. Oklahoma Sooners
You've got to be pretty good to go 8-4 while rebuilding. Quarterback Rhett Bomar comes into his own as a sophomore, and junior tailback Adrian Peterson is healthy.
3. West Virginia Mountaineers
If you think the Mountaineers peaked in the Sugar Bowl, then you'll dismiss them. But they've shown what they can do. West Virginia's biggest obstacle is ego expansion.
4. Texas Longhorns
If they had a QB returning from winning a national championship, they'd definitely be No. 1. If they had a QB who had ever taken a snap, maybe.
5. Florida State Seminoles
There's more returning on defense than the loss of seven starters suggests. This is Bobby Bowden's best team since Chris Weinke -- and Mark Richt -- left.
6. USC Trojans
If John David Booty is healthy, move them up. If he can't play, and Mark Sanchez remains suspended, move them down.
7. California Golden Bears
Marshawn Lynch should be in the same Heisman breath as Peterson. The defense is experienced. If Nate Longshore stays healthy …
8. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
BQ squared. On offense, Brady Quinn is the answer. On defense, the Big Question is stopping the pass. The defense will improve, but not in time to get through every one of the first five games.
9. Auburn Tigers
I like this team. There's a lot of experience on both sides of the ball and a favorable schedule. But the SEC has too much depth to expect a BCS championship game contender.
10. Iowa Hawkeyes
Drew Tate is the best quarterback you're not paying attention to, and the Hawkeyes played better last year than their 7-5 record would indicate.
11. Clemson Tigers
Sophomore tailback James Davis is a star ready to shine. Quarterback Charlie Whitehurst and his 40 starts are gone, but backup Will Proctor is ready to lead.
12. Florida Gators
Higher than I expected, because there's more coming back than I realized. But Chris Leak looks like a spotted tiger in this offense, and no running back has stepped up.
13. LSU Tigers
Lower than I expected, because both lines have to be rebuilt, and because of road games at Auburn, Florida and Tennessee. There's sure a lot of talent on offense, though.
14. Oregon Ducks
The Ducks have plenty to sink their beaks into: road games at Fresno State, Cal and USC. OU comes to Autzen Stadium, which has replaced Husky Stadium as the toughest venue in the Pac-10.
15. Nebraska Cornhuskers
The Huskers were my dark horse last year, and I was nine games early. Zac Taylor found his stroke late in the season. Nebraska can't let what happens at USC, good or bad, dictate the rest of the season.
16. Michigan Wolverines
The Wolverines are my dark horse this season. That's right. This team wasn't all that good last year. But RB Mike Hart is healthy, and I think new coordinator Ron English will fix what ailed the defense.
17. Louisville Cardinals
The Cardinals and West Virginia have reversed roles. It's WVU's turn to deal with expectations. I'd rank the Cardinals higher if I knew for sure that quarterback Brian Brohm will have recovered from knee surgery.
18. Miami Hurricanes
Too low? Shoot, this is a leap of faith. To be honest, I expect this to be a transition year into a new offense with a new offensive coaching staff.
19. TCU Horned Frogs
If the Frogs had more than one returning offensive lineman, they would be in the top 10. All the other pieces are there, and early games against Baylor and Texas Tech will provide schedule cred.
20. Boston College Eagles
A good nucleus of experience, led by the offensive line (74 returning starts) and LB Brian Toal on defense. Strange scheduling: Eagles close at Miami, which means they could play the Canes again nine days later in the ACC title game.
21. Penn State Nittany Lions
The Nittany Lions will fall off from 11-1, but there's still a lot of skill on offense, and there's still Puz to anchor a young defense. Penn State fans need to be patient with quarterback Anthony Morelli.
22. Georgia Bulldogs
The SEC East is as tough as ever, and the Bulldogs have less coming back than the rest of the Top 25. Can Joe Tereshinski III run the offense well enough early enough?
23. UTEP Miners
Quarterback Jordan Palmer has the eye of NFL scouts and the defense returns almost intact (which may be a good thing). Texas Tech comes to El Paso early, which could boost UTEP into a higher ranking. Four road games in five weeks will be rough.
24. Virginia Tech Hokies
The Hokies lost almost as much (12 starters) as Georgia, and Frank Beamer has four new coaches. But with this schedule, the Hokies could be mediocre and go 8-4.
25. Texas Tech Red Raiders
Hold on to your Stetson: The Red Raiders won't have a fifth-year senior at quarterback. Graham Harrell is only a sophomore, but he's got the arm, the brains and a veteran cast around him.
Old 05-19-2006, 07:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

can't wait til college football kicks off! that's the best time of the year.
Old 05-19-2006, 07:26 PM
TECH Resident

pre season rankings are interesting now I will say that, but mean absolutely jack squat once the season starts.

Gig Em!
Old 05-19-2006, 07:35 PM
Banned

i figured the Ags would be top 25, they will be by November.
Old 05-19-2006, 07:35 PM
TECH Regular

Hell yeah,got my Hawkeyes at the 10 spot,And you are right,as diehard Iowa fan now living in texas,I have watched Drew Tate tear up the big ten the past two seasons,people really should be watchin this kid,he is amazing,and is a great field general.It suprises me that him being from Baytown,he gets no exposure hear,only a few people around DFW know who he is. He could be a hiesman candidate if the Hawks only lose a game,lost of returning starters,badsass running backs,and a the whole d-line returning I believe,plus that #4recruiting class from a year ago will be on the field
Old 05-19-2006, 07:45 PM
Mustang Moderator

Where did you get these rankings??
UT at #4??? no way....No Young..and now no R. Taylor....#4 seems a little high....

I like the Sooners this year and the Auburn Tigers....

But preseason rankings really don't mean **** nowadays....
Old 05-19-2006, 07:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LS1 KLR
Where did you get these rankings??
UT at #4??? no way....No Young..and now no R. Taylor....#4 seems a little high....

I like the Sooners this year and the Auburn Tigers....

But preseason rankings really don't mean **** nowadays....
Espn.
Old 05-19-2006, 07:57 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by skipperbisket
i figured the Ags would be top 25, they will be by November.
I second that!

I can't wiat to see McGee bonesaw some fools! he made the vonted TU defense last year look pretty silly!
Old 05-19-2006, 08:01 PM
Banned

McGee has me pretty excited also this year. he showed some real potential in the little he played last year. i think they'll be a lot better this season.
Old 05-19-2006, 09:07 PM
Ginger Hater

A&M's offense as someone put it will be scary. The defense will be a de-clawed toothless lion, that will be better than last year. but the question is how much. In the spring game it was good to see the DB's actually playing close rather than in the zone. Hopefully darnell can get the defense to click. The OCC looks horrible and should give us a 4 game padding, and we play tceh and ou at home so hopefully we can do something. I hope to see them in the top25 at the end of the year, and its very plausible.

BUT

there were high hopes and high aspirations last season, and we almost lost to Texas State, Baylor, and we were blown out by CU until Mcgee stepped in and got us some quick TD's. Frans on the hotseat and he knows it...I know fran can coach, he did it at TCU and Bama, but isn't clicking here.

As for the top25, i don't agree with some of the spots, OSU is a good choice for top spot, but the sooners have no reason to be in the top5 or top10, they did less than stellar last year, and only have 1 senior on the OL this year, so i doubt peterson will be making any huge gains this next year. Bomar was a joke last year as well. Texas, i knew would drop, i would of put them at 6th though, in front of OU.

Trojans are in the right spot, ND good, WV will be over hyped. So far those are the only ones the stick out. As for Tech.................. i know alot of their starters were seniors and are now gone. offense will be depleted, but mad scientist will be passed out half the offseason and some how come up with some genius strategy.

-jon
Old 05-19-2006, 09:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wheres bama man?

oh well, as long as someone in the sec tears it up!
Old 05-19-2006, 10:27 PM
On The Tree

I'm glad Tech is in there. Graham showed some promise in the cotton bowl, and he has some veteran receivers to throw too. And defense, when has Tech had defense.
Old 05-19-2006, 10:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Spazdout
A&M's offense as someone put it will be scary. The defense will be a de-clawed toothless lion, that will be better than last year.
Ha ha. Thats a good one. Aggies make me laugh with their blind optimism. I doubt that with Franchoni there they will be winning any championships. Get rid of him, then we'll talk.

About the only 2 big 12 teams that can even think about being in the top 10 are OU and Texas. A lot of adjustments are being made in Norman and for the better. The new OC did a good job with his play calling against #6 ranked Oregon last year and has promised to step up the play calling. The D looks great. And Adrian Peterson is going to be everyones worst nightmare. Mark my words.
Old 05-19-2006, 11:26 PM
Banned

oh, i'm not anticipating any type of championships or anything, just a much improved team over last year. they still have some growing up to do but they'll be ok.
Old 05-20-2006, 12:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

there is alot of wrong in that top 12 alone
Old 05-20-2006, 12:44 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by | Powered by Satan |
I agree. Texas is the 1st problem with a QB with absolutely no experience whatsoever.

We saw how well that worked early on for OU!
Old 05-20-2006, 12:56 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by | Powered by Satan |
werd, texas is way to high
Old 05-20-2006, 01:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SlowTA
werd, texas is way to high
that's exactly what i was thinkin.
Old 05-20-2006, 01:35 AM
TECH Resident

Thinking the Aggies will even be ranked by the end of the season is just wishful thinking. I saw McGee (sp) against Texas at Kyle Field this year and I am impressed with his ability to run the spread option (he's not that fast but made really good choices) and his toughness and his leadership, overall however the A&M TEAM as a whole based on talent level just sucks and the coach (Fran) is awful.

Texas is probably going to lose to Ohio state at the start of the year but will have every chance in the world and likely be favored to win the Big 12 South. Notre Damn, over rated. USC, over rated. West Virginia may suprise a lot of you, Slaton and White are a fantastic Tandem team remind me of a young VY and Sr. Benson running a near 75% run/pass spread option package that is all but unstopable. LSU, wow, what a team, just loaded, if they can only stay focused in every game. Finally Miami? What???? That's just living on credit right there. Nothing says elite like a 48 to 3 loss to LSU, then starting a fight after the game and losing that! oh and then promptly firing nearly the entire coaching staff. Finally don't sleep on ISU in the North and I think the buffs could have a quick turn around with Hawkins.
Old 05-20-2006, 01:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

wow, we may lack a qb, but OU is ******* completely wrong... still young line, and a qb that hasnt proven ****...

ND is will be good... tOSU will be, but we (UT) will beat them

WV is wayyy overrated...

USC will be no where this year... offense is down the drain, the mans shoulder is fucked, and the other is in jail for rape

just another year for UT to prove themselves

and slowta, i dont know how you come out to talk about football, you have been wrong in ever thread you have ever came into.

there is only a handful of ppl that have made logical posts... Mr. Bill, Benji, and Spadzout