Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

trying to help a friend low oil pressure new motor..

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2006, 06:04 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trying to help a friend low oil pressure new motor..

Well, new motor went in, started doing some break in miles. from the get go. i noticed low oil pressure at idle. it concerned me, but was acceptable. after a few hundred miles, i started getting in the gas a little bit, as soon as i did this, i noticed that my oil pressure would not go above 40 psi. this is NOT acceptable.

have spent the last 2 weeks pulling my hair out and working with Bird of prey trying to get this oil pressure issue figured out. well, we have replaced absolutely everything that could of been associated with the low oil pressure problem, not one thing we did worked. Now, its apparent that the problem is in the short block. this really sucks because i spent a lot of $ on this new motor, labor and even more money on new parts and more labor trying to fix the oil pressure issue. so basically I'm up to just under $6000 right now, and I got a a ****** car that does me no good other than looking pretty in the garage.

The motor is suppose to have a 6 month 6000 mile warranty, Ive been talking to the engine builder, he assures me that all the tolerances are correct (main bearings etc. etc.) and that the block is good, we tell him that it has to be in the short block because we have checked and replaced every thing else. he seems like he is willing to help out, but, the process has been slow so far and he wants to talk to some other engine builders and see if they can think of something that we haven't tried. He is suppose to call me back on monday and tell me if he figured anyhting out, if not, then i guess we will try and come to fair agreement to get this issue resolved. Basically, im kinda fucked either way because I just can't possibly spend another cent on this car right now. so, i don't have money for labor again and not even enough $ to pay for shipping. basically, even if i did have more $ to spend on the car, i still probably wouldn't pay it because its not fair and just ridiculous!

Needless to say, this has effected me in a big way, I'm stressed out like a crazy and feel its only gonna get worse. not to mention that the wife just doesn't understand how i just spent this much $ on a brand new motor and the car doesn't work right.
Old 05-20-2006, 07:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe it's from doing too many wheelies
Old 05-20-2006, 11:47 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by ShevrolayZ28
Maybe it's from doing too many wheelies

LOL He hasn't done a wheelie yet. He is still in the break in period... Brand new motor...
Old 05-21-2006, 12:40 AM
TECH Junkie

40psi does seem low at WOT....Good Luck dude wish I knew enough to help ya out.
Old 05-21-2006, 06:21 PM
9 Second Club

That when he gets on it
Old 05-21-2006, 10:16 PM
10 Second Club

What all have you done to help cure the problem?
Old 05-22-2006, 06:56 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is the pressure at idle? You did install a manual guage onto it correct? Just want to make sure. Sometimes the factory clusters can be deceiving. What did your builder set the main clearances to??? If it's an aluminum block anything over .002 is a bad bad thing.
Old 05-22-2006, 08:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

has the motor builder had alot of experience with LS1s?

The main bearing tolerances are a bit tighter than "typical" motors since its an aluminum block. I found I had bad oil pressure with my first motor assembly since I used more traditional tolerances. Went .001 tighter and my oil pressure issue was solved.