Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Information overload! Am I getting this right??

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2006, 06:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Information overload! Am I getting this right??

I've read so much my head is killing me. I need someone to doublecheck my crash course on exhaust. I want to install pacesetter headers and hooker catback while I'm home on leave. So............

1. I have a 2002 so I have air. I don't have emissions testing so I don't need
it and can remove it and get race headers. Assuming I end up somewhere
with testing I can leave it and get the 2002 model year headers.

2. No emissions='s ORY. Or I can go catted with emissions. If I've read right
cats or no cats makes no sound difference with this set up.

3. Any way I go I need front o2's or extensions. Rear I can go with simms or
delete. If I remove AIR I need to delete with tune.

Basically, I need to decide if I'm going to remove emissions which means remove AIR, race headers and ORY. Or, keep emissions which means catted Y and 2002 headers. Is this right?

Sh*t. Now I'm reading on and people are talking about replacing motor mounts while doing the header change. Is it realy Necessary? Seems like one thing leads to another
Old 05-20-2006, 06:45 PM
That's what she said...

Let's break it down for a serviceman!

Whatever you do, get the AIR/Rear O2 codes tuned out, the AIR system will still work properly later even with it tuned out. 99% of the time you will still pass an inspection with no AIR if there is no SES light and you bring the car in while it's warmed up.

This means go for the race-headers.

As for the y-pipe, I'd get the ORY and worry about crossing the emissions bridge when/if you get there.

You WILL need to adress the front O2 sensor problem. You can go about this 2 ways.
a)get extensions and re-use stock sensors
b)get bosch 13111 O2 sensors (longer wires, normally used as 'vette rear O2 sensors), not only do they have longer wires, but they have a better heater to deal better with the cooler exhaust gas after installing LT headers

Poly Motor mounts:

There is absolutly no reason not to get a set of these and put them in while the exhaust is out unless you owe $50 to a leg-breaking loan shark and don't have any other money.
Old 05-20-2006, 07:23 PM
TECH Addict

Blur pretty much summed it up
Tho for the motor mounts, I didn't replace them, and don't have any Y pipe banging issues, yes they are a PITA to do with the exhaust in, and easier with them out, but it's up to you
Old 05-20-2006, 07:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

okie dokie....so if AIR really makes no difference can I just jettison 15 useless pounds of crap from my engine? It appears the sticky says, yes.

I know all of this seems pretty basic but, I never bothered to learn much about cars until the ls-1. Hell, I didn't even change my own oil in my other f-bods. Now, I'm hip deep learning how to mod my new baby. I think all of the info and varying opinions just started to confuse my simple ***. Thanks
Old 05-20-2006, 07:49 PM
TECH Addict

FWIW I'd at least keep the AIR syastem in a box somewhere, so if I did move to a place with a visual inspection, I'd at least have it to put back on if I had to
We all had to start someplace, at least you have this board, some of us had to learn the hard way (engine goes boom hard way)
BTW don't be concerned about the codes for the AIR and rear o2s (if it takes a while to get a tune) they won't effect the performance
Old 05-21-2006, 12:29 AM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by bob320fa
okie dokie....so if AIR really makes no difference can I just jettison 15 useless pounds of crap from my engine? It appears the sticky says, yes.

I know all of this seems pretty basic but, I never bothered to learn much about cars until the ls-1. Hell, I didn't even change my own oil in my other f-bods. Now, I'm hip deep learning how to mod my new baby. I think all of the info and varying opinions just started to confuse my simple ***. Thanks
Scrap the AIR. I have old pieces of AIR hose holding my frankenstein'd PCV system together.

I'm learning a whole lot myself right now, I've gotta build up a new fuel system to feed the new motor. I also want some HAL/QA1's, but don't know which kind. I also can't figure out who I want to build my shortblock and which heads/cam I'm going with.

I'm like freakin Bubba Gump when it comes to bolt-on's but I'm still not quite sure which damn fuel injectors I need.