Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Daily altitude tool

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2006, 06:55 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Density altitude tool

Has anyone ever used this thing to figure out density altitude. If so,does it work pretty well?
Density Altitude

Last edited by 94greencamaro; 05-20-2006 at 07:23 PM.
Old 05-20-2006, 08:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It may work, but it seems like a waste of money. Why not look at weather conditions before you leave for the track? Or, if you want to spend your money a little wiser (in my opinion) and need realtime conditions, buy a scanner, find out your nearest airport's AWOS, ASOS, or ATIS frequencies, and tune it in to listen to current conditions. If you don't want to pay for a scanner, get a subscription to anyawos.com ($30 a year) and you can use your cell phone to get current conditions at any airport around the country.

This includes temp, wind speed and direction, dew point, pressure, and some airports have the DA already figured.
Old 05-20-2006, 08:15 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BADFNZ
It may work, but it seems like a waste of money. Why not look at weather conditions before you leave for the track? Or, if you want to spend your money a little wiser (in my opinion) and need realtime conditions, buy a scanner, find out your nearest airport's AWOS, ASOS, or ATIS frequencies, and tune it in to listen to current conditions. If you don't want to pay for a scanner, get a subscription to anyawos.com ($30 a year) and you can use your cell phone to get current conditions at any airport around the country.

This includes temp, wind speed and direction, dew point, pressure, and some airports have the DA already figured.
It seems a lot more convienent to buy this. Weather changes a lot here. Yesterday it was easily 90-95 when we started racing (3:30) and when we ended (10:00) it couldnt have been more than 70-75. I would be going in with some other people, so the price really doesnt matter to me that much. Not to mention I know a guy who gets summit **** for cheap because he has a hookup that works there. I just want to see what people have to say about it.
Old 05-20-2006, 10:05 PM
Restricted User

Actually I like the looks and features of that little deal. I might have to ask mama to let me get a new gadget for the car Here in Hawaii a few of us have plotted, measured and annotated the DA changes for our island (Oahu) for racing nights. The track is closed now for ? time, and I am moving to Arizona, plan on racing at SIR and Pontiac, maybe traveling up to Vegas etc.. The 16hr plotting would also be nice, to look for trends. Here, the trend is: Track runs start at 7pm DA= 1,500, then slowly lowers about 9:30pm DA = 650 stays low for about an hour, then raises back up w/in a few hundred feet of the first log, but usually a tad lower. The DA flucuates with the tide. I think its a pretty new gizmo, thanks for posting.

Charlie
Old 05-22-2006, 08:08 PM
10 Second Club

damn, that looks pretty cool. think I'll be picking one up I get tired of the time it takes to go back and recalculate DA and the accuracy of looking on weather sites for an area code can't be that accurate.