Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Knowing what I like, with LT's and an ORY; Magnaflow, Hooker, or TSP Rumbler catback?
Magnaflow
40.94%
Hooker
38.58%
TSP Rumbler
20.47%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Last topic before I get my catback. Magnaflow vs. Hooker vs. TSP Rumbler

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2006, 01:32 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Last topic before I get my catback. Magnaflow vs. Hooker vs. TSP Rumbler

Ok, I'm going to hopefully order my catback tomorrow or on monday. I am having a very hard time choosing what i want, probably because all I have to go on are these stupid sound clips... lol. I can get a general idea from them, but nothing very good or real sounding.

Ok, so, this is what I want, what would you suggest? I want it to be powerful and throaty sounding, like a big v8 musclecar should. As little rasp as possible, and I am getting some LT's and an ORY, so keep that in mind. Flow isn't a big deal since I know all three of these are good. The loudness of it shouldn't be annoying loud, but louder than stock. Enough to make other people with modded cars actually look at it, and not immediately think it's going to be a lot slower than theirs. But like I said, not annoyingly loud, I don't want unwanted attention from people, weird looks and stuff, or with cops, I don't want trouble. lol. I don't like how quiet the stock exhaust is a lot of times though, I wish it would sound more powerful and deeper riding around.

Ok, so knowing what I would like it to sound like, and keeping in mind that I will be getting LT's and an ORY too (hopefully within a couple weeks of the catback), which one would you recommend? I can get all of them within a few dollars of each other so that makes no difference to me.

Thanks!
Old 05-21-2006, 09:17 AM
12 Second Club

My vote goes to Magnaflow. I'm real happy with mine.

Rob (Bad30th)
Old 05-21-2006, 10:08 AM
12 Second Club

Well this helps a lot, I have 1 vote for each so far . lol
Old 05-21-2006, 10:31 AM
TECH Addict

i've not heard the magnaflow but i like my hooker.not annoying at idle or low revs but sounds great when at wot.
Old 05-21-2006, 10:51 AM
12 Second Club

I like my TSP Rumbler with LT and ORY.

A friend with a 05 GTO with LTs and a loudmouth was next to me in his car, and I got it on it. We stopped somewhere and he said: "Damn your car is loud. I didn't expect it to be that loud. Riding around it was pretty quiet, and then it screamed when you downshifted."
Old 05-21-2006, 11:35 AM
12 Second Club

How is the rasp with all 3 when paired with LT's and an ORY? Which one is the best, worst, and in the middle?
Old 05-21-2006, 01:38 PM
12 Second Club

Ok, so this is why I'm so confused as to what to do. I've heard some people say the Hooker is the same sound level as the stock catback at idle and cruising around, and some people say its louder. I've heard some people say its almost the same as stock when at WOT, but I've heard more people say its loud(no idea how loud, but loud anyway). Then I've heard some people say they love the sound of their Magnaflows, and some people say that if you're going to get LT's and an ORY, not to get a Magnaflow, it can be raspy. I've heard some people say that the Rumbler is not too loud driving around, but loud when you punch it(kinda like some people say the hooker is, just a little louder), but others say its loud all the time. Nobody has said anything yet really about rasp on the TSP or the Hooker, so I have no idea about that.

So basically thats why I'm so confused and have absolutely no idea what to do . I'm starting college this year so money is tight and I really wanna get it right the first time cause I don't have enough money to do it over again...

So any help would be greatly appreciated. For what i said that I would like up in my original post, what do you think would be the right choice for me?

Thanks for any help
Old 05-21-2006, 01:40 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You are gonna get rasp with an aluminum block period. That is where it starts from.
Old 05-21-2006, 02:12 PM
Launching!

well i had the tsp rumbler on my last cam only car and the rasp was horrible it had that crazy *** machine gun rasp and a lot of drone. i now have the magnaflow system on my new car and it is a lot better than the rumbler. it was still a little raspy but since i have put my torque converter in its mostly gone. it has a great tone. i will probably be going to the hooker though shortly just cuz i enjoy the sound of it better. it just has a different sound than the magnaflow. hope this helps
Old 05-21-2006, 02:43 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks, that helped . I think I'm going to be going with Pacesetter LT's, an ORY, and a Hooker catback. Anything wrong with that? I'll get a tune sometime too, just not right away.

As far as the ORY goes, what would fit those two things really well, and scavenge and flow well?

Thanks for all your help.

Edit: The prices for those things that I have found so far are Hooker: $340 w. free S&H, and the Coated Pacesetters for $375 w. free S&H. Anywhere I can find them cheaper?
Old 05-21-2006, 02:49 PM
Teching In

If those pacesetters are from texas speed, thats about the lowest price you will fine. As far as the hooker goes I am not sure. Those seem like about the best price you will find.
Old 05-21-2006, 02:59 PM
12 Second Club

Actually those headers are from speed inc. Same price as TSP, but no shipping like they have. Its the same place actually that I found the Hookers for 340. Anyone have any suggestions on a good ORY? are there any that are considered the best, or do they all basically do the same hp wise like the headers?
Old 05-21-2006, 03:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well the pacesetter Y isn't the greatest as far as looks (the merge has part of the other pipe sticking into the flow path) how much hp that's costing me ???? and since it's not an all out race car I don't really care, it tucks up nice, has good clearance, and (knock wood) hasn't banged on the floor
TSP is supposed to be more adjustable (comes in 4 pieces) if you have the patience to adjust it you can get good clearance, and no banging (can't say what the merge is like haven't ever seen it)
FWIW if it's in the budget a flowmaster merge and some custom pipe bending is probably going to be the best as far as flow and fit, (might want to call around to see what the price would be)
The HP gain is going to be about the same for any of them considering the level of mods you have
Old 05-21-2006, 04:00 PM
12 Second Club

Ok, so it sounds like the TSP is better than the pacesetter, but both are ok. Then the best thing to do would be to get a flowmaster merge and get somebody to do a custom job for the rest of it. Thanks, I'll go check out some prices and see what seems like a good idea to do. Thanks again.
Old 05-21-2006, 04:21 PM
12 Second Club

Oh, I forgot to ask, is there anything else I need to buy other than the actual header, ORY and catback themselves? I know I need o2 extentions, how long should i need for Pacesetter headers? Is there anything else?
Old 05-21-2006, 04:26 PM
TECH Addict

Get the bosch 13111s for your front o2s (no dealing with extensions) and it's a better sensor, band clamps are nice but not required, anti sieze, PBBlaster, maybe some stock metal gaskets
Old 05-21-2006, 04:55 PM
12 Second Club

Ok, so really the only thing that's required are the sensors then. This car is completely rust free, very good shape, so I dont know how much of those two things I will need. And how much better will the bosch sensors be? I'm just wondering cause the sensors seem to cost a lot more that $17 which is what the extensions are.
Old 05-21-2006, 05:08 PM
TECH Addict

They help with keeping away the insufficient switching codes, you can have the parameters opened up if or when you get a tune, but I've run them since Dec and haven't had an o2 code
It's up to you, the extensions are cheaper, and you already have the original o2s, I just really get annoyed at SES lights
You will need the anti sieze (steel into aluminum always use anti seize)
Old 05-21-2006, 05:36 PM
12 Second Club

Alright, so, I'll grab some anti seize then. I'm going to be getting a tune sometime fairly soon (graduation money coming ), so does that mean I can use the stock sensors and have them open up the parameters and I'll be fine? I'm not getting rear o2 sensors, I'm going to have them tune that out when I do it, so do the front ones do anything other than give that annoying light? Cause I'll already have that
Old 05-21-2006, 06:33 PM
12 Second Club

rumbler all the way!! hooker and magna is too too quiete for me.