Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fan speed

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2006, 12:24 PM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fan speed

have a 99 t/a and was curious if the fans have more than one speed. it seems like my fans used to come on really loud sometimes and now i can hardly hear them. do they have a low and high speed? still tring to figure out my overheating problems.
Old 05-21-2006, 12:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

The second fan might have died, or seized. Might also just check the fuses, I think each fan has its own.
Old 05-21-2006, 12:59 PM
Restricted User

both fans are turning. they just seem quieter than normal.
Old 05-21-2006, 12:59 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WS6nJAX
have a 99 t/a and was curious if the fans have more than one speed. it seems like my fans used to come on really loud sometimes and now i can hardly hear them. do they have a low and high speed? still tring to figure out my overheating problems.
Mine did the same thing! For the longest time they would come on and freakin ROAR, but then it seemed like I went months without hearing them.

I had to stick my hand down behind the radiator to make sure it was even blowing all.

They do have 2 speeds which come on at different stages. After I had the car tuned, I think the temperatures for the fan speeds were changed, my car SITS on 180* now and NEVER moves. I'm almost starting to think my guage is broken (even though it's a '98).
Old 05-21-2006, 04:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the fans are wired in such a way that they will first come on at 226F and go off at 217F. At this turn on temp, each fan gets 6v and turns at a slow speed. When the temp reaches 235F (2nd turn on temp) both fans receive 12v and turn at full speed. They are rather loud at full speed and pull alot of air. when the temp drops below 226F the fans go back to slow speed.

While the car will work just fine with these turn on/off temps, if you can, it is a good idea to lower them. i guess that is how ls1blur has his sitting at 180F...
Old 05-21-2006, 05:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As hot as it's been here in Jax the last couple days you should be getting high speed fans with the AC on in any kind of traffic easily.
Old 05-21-2006, 06:46 PM
Restricted User

ok. i when i replaced my stat i set the fans back to stock. went out today and reset them to 180 and they are once again coming on hard and loud. but there is still no back pressure in the system. it went from violent overflows to no pressure at all. still no leaks, just no pressure when i remove the cap. anyone had a water pump fail and have these problems before? still no water in the oil, however could my pressure issues be a bad head gasket?

i have posted this problem before, i just wanted to try and figure this out before i tear the top end off the engine.
Old 05-21-2006, 08:15 PM
10 Second Club

Ugh, I'm so glad I moved outta Jax.

Are you losing coolant somewhere? Smell any coolant burning, any white smoke from the exhaust, etc.?