Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Th400/JW Ultrabell Users Inside, Questions???

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2006, 07:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Th400/JW Ultrabell Users Inside, Questions???

Guys, any of you using this combination out there, did you have to clearence the bell at the interface to the back of the engine block where the bolts for the rear engine cover are? Mine will not go on without clearencing in this area and just wanted to see if others have had this issue with this bell. Also, it seems only 5 or 6 bolts hold this thing to the motor, was that the case with yours as well? Thanks.

P.S. Do most of you separate the bell from the pump of the th400 when putting the trans in? This is the only way it looks as if you can get to the top bell to engine bolt.
Old 05-21-2006, 08:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had to clearance for the bolts in the rear cover. I also cut the ears off the top of the Ultra Bell. There are only 5 bolts that are used to mount to the engine. Check the automatic transmission section, there is a sticky at the top of the page that covers all of this.
Old 05-21-2006, 08:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Silver Slayer
I had to clearance for the bolts in the rear cover. I also cut the ears off the top of the Ultra Bell. There are only 5 bolts that are used to mount to the engine. Check the automatic transmission section, there is a sticky at the top of the page that covers all of this.
Thanks a ton man, that's exactly the info I was looking for!
Old 05-21-2006, 08:56 PM
Teching In

are you using a chevy or bop trans????

what motor are you bolting it to???

I am putting a 455 olds rocket with a bop 400 and have plenty of room for all the mounting bolts i didnt have to cut away anything
Old 05-22-2006, 02:11 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by dave l

I am putting a 455 olds rocket with a bop 400 and have plenty of room for all the mounting bolts i didnt have to cut away anything
Its different mounting it to an LS1.
I am running a TH400 with an ultrabell on an LT1 and had no issues. In fact I think I had more room to work with than with the 60E.
Old 05-22-2006, 06:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dave l

Not 100% sure of the first question. It's a th400 from transking with the ultra bell. The trans is going behind a ls1. It seems this is a problem for ls1 motors, but certainly a solveable one. Thanks.