General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Clunk at stops

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 09:54 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clunk at stops

when i am cruising at parking lot speeds and I pull up to a stop sign I get a minimal clunk sounds like tranny hitting somethin, I do have exhaust rattle but I fix it frequently and I know its not that, this just started a month ago, releasing the clutch from a stop I also sometimes get it , as well as going into reverse to back out of a parking spot it happens sometimes, but not always. I hit a pretty big bump a few months ago, my alignment still feels great, no uneven tire wear, but I get this annoying clunk, was thinking maybe tranny or ta mount? it never seems to happen at high rpms though...at least that I can hear...can someone chime in?
Old 05-22-2006, 12:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well an educated guess would be a mount...another not so thought of guess is the spare...lol...mine came loose one time and everytime id stop or back up i hear a thump...like it was coming from the rear outside..
Old 05-22-2006, 12:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a GM car what do you expect? I have all kinds of clunks and rattles and my car only has 25k miles. Every GM car I've ever known makes noise. I just turn the radio up

The jack sounds like a likely candidate.
Old 05-22-2006, 01:45 PM
TECH Regular

thats it? no one else has any 2 cents on this? you think it could be that dumb, it sounds like right under my console or passenger seat, ory not hitting shields but hits crossmember, which I am aware of the sound for it is distinctly a different clunk sound when starting in reverse or sometimes starting in first, not always though.
Old 05-22-2006, 04:18 PM
MJK
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would try to (if possible where you are at) to pull the tranny mount to inspect it...it is kind of difficult to tell for sure when the mount is still on there wether it has split...

Just to rule it out man...

Just to note though,I have a similar clunk.Kinda happens when shifting at lower RPMs..Especially 1st to 2nd shift.Sounds like there is slack being taken up in the driveline somewhere between tranny and differential.

I haven't checked my tranny mount though..("to do list").

I have had this on ALL of my F-Bodies..3 A4s and my current M6.On the A4s it would happen especially if you were accellerating and just suddenly let off the throttle..New tranny mounts worked in curing the sound on two of them but one of them was sold before I swapped it out and like said,I haven't inspected the one on my current M6.

Good luck...
Old 05-23-2006, 10:03 AM
TECH Regular

Have you checked your u-joints?
Old 05-23-2006, 10:08 AM
TECH Regular

nope. just visually check them? I was under it last night grabbing the TA and trying to see if anything moved with ease, everything seems good, Im replacing my clutch in a week so I just want to know good vital spots to look for damage or the problem, maybe my tranny mount is loose, whats the torque spec on that? also exhaust is definitly not the culprit..