LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

quick radiator question.. URGENT

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 02:21 PM
9 Second Club

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Default quick radiator question.. URGENT

Ok well i got a griffin mounted verticly in my engine bay but there are two hose that came of the motor that im not sure what to do with them because the new radiator does not have the two spots for these hoses that were on the original radiator.... i have a pic of both before i started.

My question is what to i do wiht these two hoses since the new radiator does nto have spots for them...

This hose comes from the top of the radiator on the pass side all the way to by the throttle body... i need to know what to do wiht this hose also..

then this hose comes off the water pump (obviously) and goes to about mid radiator on the driver side... also i need to know what to do here..

Thanks... i need to get my car together cuz it is my DD...
Old 05-22-2006, 02:34 PM
Bad Seller Warning!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the Griffin vertical mount worth it? can you take a pic showing how much space it opens up? and also that one that goes under the TB is the one that is involved in the TB bypass mod you can look that up and see if that helps at all.
Old 05-22-2006, 02:40 PM
9 Second Club

Yeah it adds a ton of room...

as for the bypass thing... that hose just brings water that is being flowed through the throttle body into the radiator... sooo.. lol
Old 05-22-2006, 02:50 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

The one that goes on top of the engine you need, connect it to the metal tube that runs along side of the intake. It is the Steam vent line that comes from the Heads. Connect it directly to that metal tube, not the Throttle body. The one on the drivers side should go into the radiator, it is one of the feeder lines.
Old 05-22-2006, 05:49 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by the_merv
The one that goes on top of the engine you need, connect it to the metal tube that runs along side of the intake. It is the Steam vent line that comes from the Heads. Connect it directly to that metal tube, not the Throttle body. The one on the drivers side should go into the radiator, it is one of the feeder lines.

i figured out what im goign to do for the feeder line... Im going to make a piece out of exhaust pipe to merge into the bottom hose. Easy enough and will work.

but as for the line that comes from the steam vent into the throttle bodyand out to the radiator... i dont know what to do wiht it... And im not sure i understand what you are saying to do wiht it. Because it cant go to the radiator... someone said to plug it.... but if there is something easier and simple to do with it... then could you point that out..
Old 05-22-2006, 07:07 PM
9 Second Club

the only other problem i see is the niether hose off the motor is big enough for the LOW port on the radiator.

and im not familiar with this reverse flow cooling... so which hose should go to the top of the radiator and which shold go to the bottom?

Thanks... I need to get this out of the garage tomarro
Old 05-23-2006, 12:57 AM
9 Second Club

bump for need of urget info... i really need to get this done.. thanks..!!
Old 05-23-2006, 01:28 AM
11 Second Club

The little line that comes off the back of the heads should not be plugged. It is a return line, it vents your heads. If you plug it, you will over heat and blow the head gasket. That line goes to the top of the Radiator. How reverse cooling works, it cools the Heads first, then the Block. The Thermostat is 2-way. The coolant stays in the engine until it heats up enough to open the thermostat, then it opens, and circulates with the Radiatior. Both lines coming off of the Radiator have to go to the water pump, both are in the bottom. The Heater lines are between the radiator and the waterpump. Look at the pics for info.
Attached Thumbnails quick radiator question.. URGENT-bypass.jpg   quick radiator question.. URGENT-coolant-system.jpg  
Old 05-23-2006, 01:30 AM
11 Second Club

Quick question, why do you have a quote about an LS1, when you drive an LT1...
Old 05-23-2006, 03:10 AM
9 Second Club

Quick question, why do you have a quote about an LS1, when you drive an LT1...

its just a quote kinda stating everyones iggnorant attitude about LS1s....

The little line that comes off the back of the heads should not be plugged. It is a return line, it vents your heads. If you plug it, you will over heat and blow the head gasket. That line goes to the top of the Radiator. How reverse cooling works, it cools the Heads first, then the Block. The Thermostat is 2-way. The coolant stays in the engine until it heats up enough to open the thermostat, then it opens, and circulates with the Radiatior. Both lines coming off of the Radiator have to go to the water pump, both are in the bottom. The Heater lines are between the radiator and the waterpump. Look at the pics for info.

Ok... one problem though man... this radiatoris like every other standard radiator. THERE IS NO PROVISIONS FOR THAT STEAM VENT.

Here is a pic of it...

So a anything beside the two big hoses i need to figure out what im going to do wiht it. And what i ment by how does the reverse flow cooling works was which big hose runs to the top of the radiator and what goes to the bottom. If i remember right the LOWER hose goes to the bottom.

Then should I take the little hose coming off the water pump and "T" it into the upper hose and "T" the steam vent at the same place? Or could I "T" the little hose that iscoming out of hte water pump into the lower hose?

These are what i was asking... I needed toknow because t he new radiator DOES NOT HAVE SPOTS for the stuff that is on the lt1..

Last edited by Dragframe; 05-23-2006 at 03:26 AM.
Old 05-23-2006, 03:25 AM
11 Second Club

I wouldn't call it that. The numbers show which of the 2 is more powerful from the factory, but the Iron Block LT1 can be modded cheaper, and handle more power. I just wouldn't praise a rival car on the threads IMO... It's like rooting for the other team.
Old 05-23-2006, 03:30 AM
11 Second Club

As far as the radiator, the 2 big ones go to the bottom, like in the diagram. You have to make a provision for that steam line, it is an essential line. Reverse flow is how the engine works, not where the hoses go on the radiator. The system cools the Heads first, then the Block.
Old 05-23-2006, 04:23 AM
9 Second Club

I wouldn't call it that. The numbers show which of the 2 is more powerful from the factory, but the Iron Block LT1 can be modded cheaper, and handle more power. I just wouldn't praise a rival car on the threads IMO... It's like rooting for the other team.
Idunno.. that quote is overflowing with sarcasm... I actully got a thread dedicated to me in the lt1 section because of it.. lol...

But yeah.... i think my current plan is have the hose that comes off the thermostat neck go to the TOP outlet on the radiator and have both the steam line and other small hose T into it. The other large hose coming out of the waterpumpwillgo to the bottom outlet on the radiator..
Old 05-23-2006, 06:44 AM
TECH Addict

The radiator you have looks like a standard SBC (Gen I) radiator. You should call and make sure you got the right radiator because it does not look as though you did.

The hose ports are not in the correct place (and possibly the wrong size), there's no provision for your throttle body hose and also no provision for the low coolant sensor.
Old 05-23-2006, 07:40 AM
11 Second Club

Yea, didn't think they would be different...
Old 05-23-2006, 12:36 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by SnakeOiler
The radiator you have looks like a standard SBC (Gen I) radiator. You should call and make sure you got the right radiator because it does not look as though you did.

The hose ports are not in the correct place (and possibly the wrong size), there's no provision for your throttle body hose and also no provision for the low coolant sensor.
yes i know but this radiator WILL WORK. it has been used for this swap before. The lower outlet is a lil large but i think i havemy solution figured out for that.

I will just make A "T" to merge the lines into the radiator hoses that dont have proviasionsfor them.

Which way does the coolant flow though... cant anyone answer that? Which large hose is it SUCKING from?
Old 05-23-2006, 12:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

why didnt you get an LT1 specific radiator? and why did you go with an aftermarket one? thought the stockers cooled just fine.
Old 05-23-2006, 03:11 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Shon Herron
why didnt you get an LT1 specific radiator? and why did you go with an aftermarket one? thought the stockers cooled just fine.
the point is to open up the engine bay to make it easier to work on.... and turbo,..
Old 05-23-2006, 03:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dragframe
the point is to open up the engine bay to make it easier to work on.... and turbo,..
Turbo makes sense for this change but otherwise not what I would have done.
My stuff is still in the stock location but I removed everything else and there is alot of room, more than I thought. I will be replacing the stock shroud with a custom 'strap' set up that should provide about 2 more inches at the top near the elbow.
Old 05-23-2006, 03:29 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Shon Herron
Turbo makes sense for this change but otherwise not what I would have done.
My stuff is still in the stock location but I removed everything else and there is alot of room, more than I thought. I will be replacing the stock shroud with a custom 'strap' set up that should provide about 2 more inches at the top near the elbow.
yeah i know what your talking about.... start taking sutff out and do the straps and it ges you a ton of room... but the room that i am getting from this just cant be matched...

Plus yes... i was going to do a certain turbo setup (that I will make) that i could have used the stock radiator... but i decided on a design change and this will make it a walk in the park for the new location.

Quick Reply: quick radiator question.. URGENT