Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do I tell them?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 01:10 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What do I tell them?

last friday I was driving to work and I twisted/dented my driveshaft. Damaged my U joints and Yokes. What do I tell the warranty company so they will cover the damaged items? The car only has 43k miles and is under warranty until 70k or 2007. I don't have the money to fork out to buy and install all the parts myself right now.
Old 05-23-2006, 01:39 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

well, there is not much you can tell them except for what you just said. Were you leaving a stop sign at 6800RPM's?
Old 05-23-2006, 01:44 AM
12 Second Club

lol, actually i was shifting into second gear at about 4k, I needed to wake up so I took 1st up to 4k and then shifted to second (not powershifting) and all I heard was grinding. Is that all it takes? The car is all stock.
Old 05-23-2006, 01:45 AM
12 Second Club

It is supposed to be covered though, right? I haven't taken the car to the track yet.
Old 05-23-2006, 01:47 AM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Tell'em you hit some **** in the road.
Old 05-23-2006, 02:11 AM
12 Second Club

would that be covered? because that might have been part of the cause. I was thinkin something like that might have happened.
Old 05-23-2006, 02:30 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

It is hard to say. They might claim that you were racing.
Old 05-23-2006, 03:37 AM
12 Second Club

But how are they gonna prove that if it didn't happen? Or do they go by their own word and that's final
Old 05-23-2006, 05:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ss1129
Tell'em you hit some **** in the road.
That's a pretty dumb idea. Most warranties exist to cover failure of components and will NOT cover accidental damage or damage caused by miss-use.

If they use that excuse the will be promtly told to make a claim on their insurance.
Old 05-23-2006, 05:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GR8GAME
lol, actually i was shifting into second gear at about 4k, I needed to wake up so I took 1st up to 4k and then shifted to second (not powershifting) and all I heard was grinding. Is that all it takes? The car is all stock.
First off you need to check and see what your warranty covers. Is it a GM warranty or one supplied by a dealer?

Most warranties have exclusions such as service items and "consumables". This generally covers tyres, filters, exhuasts, bushes and so on.

Driveline components may well not be covered, you need to check.

How did it happen? Is it really as you described, just shifting from 1st to 2nd at 4000rpm. Personally it sounds fishey, well fishey enough for a warranty claim to be investigated IMO.

If it broke on the street while the vehicle was being driven as designed and legally then you have a claim. Racing may be illegal on the street but putting your foot down isn't so long as you wheren't speeding. And as the legal system states you are innocent until proven guilty it would be up to the warranty people to prove you where in the wrong rather than the other way round.

If they say you where driving the car too hard or unsuitably, then you can explain that the red line is near 6000rpm so evidently GM meant it to be used in that way, also GM advertising was also based on performance and power. So they wouldn't have a leg to stand on if they pursued this route.

All else failing, just try and make a claim the worst they can do is refuse. And if you where doing something you perhaps shouldn't have been then you'll just have to bite the bullet and put it down to experience.

As a tip, you may have to fight this one but being polite instead of nasty or angry will probably get you further than going in guns blazing.

Hope this helps
Old 05-23-2006, 05:55 AM
TECH Resident

Just be honest and say you don't know what happened. It should be covered and I don't know how a stock car could have torqued your drivetrain so badly without you launching from a high RPM???

You honestly don't know what went wrong. Don't just answer the phone and say that you were shifting hard or you were "trying to wake up." You were driving, shifted, and you heard something and stopped. A shop assesed the damage and here is what they found. Just a suggestion.
Old 05-23-2006, 05:55 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

You know that they can find out what you were doing at the time off the incident if it caused code to throw or anything.
Old 05-23-2006, 08:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
You know that they can find out what you were doing at the time off the incident if it caused code to throw or anything.
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot? I think youre talking about the black box. IIRC, this only records the last 20 seconds before an airbag deploys or ABS kicks on. The ECM does not contain a record of your driving habits to the best of my knowledge.
Old 05-23-2006, 08:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

play dumb and tell em you hear this weird grinding noise and you cant put your finger on it. side note wouldnt your clutch granade before it got to your driveshaft on a stock hp car
Old 05-23-2006, 08:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Also, if they dont cover your claim, you can probably pick up a used stock driveshaft here for fairly cheap.
Old 05-23-2006, 08:57 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

not sure where you are located, but if they don't cover it, I have a stock driveshaft that I"ll sell ya.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:03 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

From my experience with warranty claims it will go something like this: Warranty company cant tell you over the phone if its covered. They wont commit a direct answer to your specific problem until they have the facts in front of them. The facts will be ascertained by the mechanic who works on the car. The warranty will not cover damage due to anything but part failure. Example: you hit something and caused it to break it is not covered. The mechanic will tell the warranty company what he thinks caused the failure and they will go from there. Only you know all the facts of this case. Did you put the thing on a curb? The mechanic will be able to tell and it wont be covered. From my experience with these cars the u-joints don’t just fall out and the drive shaft get bent from normal use. Using nitrous and slicks might not be covered either. Were you at the track when this happened? They might want to see the tow bill. Trying to cheat the warranty company isn’t always that easy.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Some warranty companies have adjustors that come out and look at the damage. I know they looked at my friends truck and didnt want to cover it because he had aftermarket parts on it. The ended up covering it anyway.

From what you are describing there is no way that should break a driveshaft. That thing must have had a problem anyway.
Old 05-23-2006, 01:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
Exactly as orangepeel said. If it threw a code at 4k rpms, where you were at, they might say that you didn't need to be at those rpms and that could consider you to be at fault.
Old 05-23-2006, 01:10 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that warranty you have til 2007...that's the powertrain warranty right? if so, don't think that'll cover the driveshaft. you gotta see what the drivetrain coverage is. it may only be 3 years/36,000 miles. who knows, i could be wrong. if not, i picked up an aluminum driveshaft from ebay for my old 3.4L firebird (from a Z28 camaro) for 120 bucks shipped. install took like 2 minutes but i had access to a lift and a torque gun.