Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

O2 Sensor wiring -- 2 brown wires?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 10:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default O2 Sensor wiring -- 2 brown wires?

I was doing an emergency O2 extension today and I made a big mistake.. I snipped all 4 wires instead of doing them one at a time.

There was a Tan, Purple, and TWO Browns? WTF? There were no distinguishing markings on them either.

Are the browns part of the heater circuit where they could be interchangable? I'm almost positive the purple is the signal wire.. but then what is the tan wire?

I'm attempting to get rid of P1153 and P0153. It is paired with a rough idle, loss of power, and running rich.

I took my best guess and crimped them up.. the codes didn't go away on initial startup, so I'm off to autozone to have them cleared..

Help.
Old 05-24-2006, 11:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never taken a peek at mine yet but I know that the purple is definatly the signal and I am 80% positive that the two browns are the heaters. On most cars with four wire O2 senors thats the way it was wired

Lots of Luck
Old 05-24-2006, 03:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

doubt they are interchangeable, you could remove all of the conduit from the unsnipped o2's, or you rears, and try to match up the wires via the plug. only one way to find out, I would imagine it would throw a code if they are switched and not supposed to be.
Old 05-24-2006, 06:37 PM
TECH Addict

do you have another sensor to compare it to??? b/c the plug actually has A,B,C,D on it and thats how you can tell them apart by putting something on one wire to tell the difference. also try to seperate the wires and go from the purple wire first on the left then move your way right through the pink one, then flip it going the same direction (right) the brown on the left is C and the one of the right is D. hope that kinda helps.
Old 05-24-2006, 07:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the plug has A,B,C,D, wouldn't it stand to reason the connector would have it too, might be worth a look, then it's easy, match the letters