LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Rear brake squeak...Please tell me how to fix this.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 10:16 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Rear brake squeak...Please tell me how to fix this.

I know why this happens but I cant seem to fix it.
The inner brake pad shifts inside the caliper bracket when hitting rough spots in the road. This can be simulated by jacking up the car, removing the wheel and putting the lug nuts back on without the wheel. If you pull and tug on the wheeless axle the squeak can easily be heard. No doubt its the inner pad.

I am very sick of this noise, it is very annoying. I have put caliper grease on the end tabs of the inner pad, it worked for a while but the squeak is back. I have the H-shaped insulator installed correctly.

Is there a way to fix this damn squeak.
Thanks
Old 05-23-2006, 10:22 AM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Mine were squeaking for a while, it was actually the outer portion of the Rotor scraping against the Caliper. Check that also. I put some spacers where the Caliper connected to the Axle, and haven't had that problem at all.
Old 05-23-2006, 10:26 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by the_merv
Mine were squeaking for a while, it was actually the outer portion of the Rotor scraping against the Caliper. Check that also. I put some spacers where the Caliper connected to the Axle, and haven't had that problem at all.
I have fixed the rotor rubbing issue by grinding the bracket. It definitelis not that. This is definitely the inner pad shifting.
Old 05-23-2006, 10:34 AM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Never heard of it doing that. Check the little retaining clip, the metal piece on the back of that pad. It has to be bent a certian way.
I am trying to figure out where the little screw is an the calipers to adjust the back brakes, supposively it is supposed to make a big difference..
Old 05-23-2006, 03:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by the_merv
Never heard of it doing that. Check the little retaining clip, the metal piece on the back of that pad. It has to be bent a certian way.
I am trying to figure out where the little screw is an the calipers to adjust the back brakes, supposively it is supposed to make a big difference..
The pad appears fine. The spring wire thing looks ok.
The squeak comes from the ends of the pad where it fits into the bracket.
Old 05-23-2006, 05:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I changed my rotors/pads on the rears and they squeek once they warm up. Duno whats up. Think it may just be cheap pads.
Old 05-23-2006, 05:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

to help this u should get stop squeal this is a fluid made by bg, u sand the pads blow them off then apply fluid and let dry this stuff works wonders it seeps down into the pads and viola no squeaks, u can also grease all the contacts such as the slide pins and brackets and the back of the pad with brake lube and kind will work but permatex makes a good green lube that is really sweet, good luck

Quick Reply: Rear brake squeak...Please tell me how to fix this.