Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

MAF Output Choppy

Old 05-23-2006, 10:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default MAF Output Choppy

The car is a 02 T/A with a p1sc 6 psi procharger and mac headers/ory. That's pretty much it for engine mods. Still using the stock cam and springs. It's making 489hp/463tq sae. Was wondering if the stock valve springs could have something to do with the choppy MAF output up high. I realize they are never perfectly smooth, but this one seems to be pretty bad. I'm thinking maybe valves bouncing on the seats a little when they close. If not the stock valve springs causing this, what could be some other possibilities? The car runs good though.

Old 05-25-2006, 12:06 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a guy in my car club who just dynoed similar numbers with similar mods as you. (he posts on here as well) I believe he is also having a floating valve problem. I did when i first went turbo and I switched to some CC 918s pretty quickly and it helped a ton.
Old 05-25-2006, 12:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's what it sounds like to me man...change out those springs and redyno....
Old 05-25-2006, 12:58 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Completely normal, different MAF, different logging program, 9psi on a stock motor with 918 valve springs - 10.90 @ 126mph full weight so it ran OK

You can change the springs and it may help on the top end power a little but it wont get rid of the jagged MAF line.
Old 05-25-2006, 10:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by vhgjk123
There is a guy in my car club who just dynoed similar numbers with similar mods as you. (he posts on here as well) I believe he is also having a floating valve problem. I did when i first went turbo and I switched to some CC 918s pretty quickly and it helped a ton.
That's the car I'm posting about.

kp, this car is a lot worse than I'm used to seeing. Just looking for a cause and why the A/F oscillates from 11.0 to 11.5 from 4700 rpm on up when I'm commanding the same value in the PE table. I didn't see this oscillation before MAC headers were installed, but the wide band was in the cutout in the I pipe before the headers and this time it was put in a bung in one leg of the Y pipe.
Old 05-27-2006, 05:24 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2xLS1
That's the car I'm posting about.

kp, this car is a lot worse than I'm used to seeing. Just looking for a cause and why the A/F oscillates from 11.0 to 11.5 from 4700 rpm on up when I'm commanding the same value in the PE table. I didn't see this oscillation before MAC headers were installed, but the wide band was in the cutout in the I pipe before the headers and this time it was put in a bung in one leg of the Y pipe.
If it was causing your AFR to bounce up and down that much the injector pulsewidth would be going crazy also.

I believe the PCM 'smooths' the MAF signal to a certain degree, at least thats what I was told. The ATI plenum is whats causing the peaks and valleys, lot of bad juju going on in that thing but in the long run it wont affect anything much.

FWIW My LC1 logs in the HPT input were very jagged, the flashscan is very smooth so there is some extra filtering going on with the EFIlive external input it appears as well.
Old 05-27-2006, 07:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'm takling about the dyno wideband and how Winpep 7 plots it.
Old 05-28-2006, 12:02 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2xLS1
I'm takling about the dyno wideband and how Winpep 7 plots it.
Either way, look at your injector pulse widths on the log, if they follow the MAF then I would worry about it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: MAF Output Choppy