Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

clutch problem. please help.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 02:52 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch problem. please help.

I went out to start my car the other day, it had been sitting for a week. I start the car and the clutch feels kind of odd when shifting gears. It started as just the clutch engaging when the pedal was like 1 inch from the floor, now the pedal is just soft and even when I mash it to the floor the clutch wont disengage. If I try to put it into first it wont go in gear and if I try to force it into gear the car starts moving. I'm pretty sure this means the clutch is not disengaging. Also when I take my foot off the pedal the pedal stays at the floor for a few seconds before coming up.

I am thinking this is a problem in the hydraulics. I'm going to try to change the fluid and bleed the system to see if this helps anything. Other than that could it be the slave? Could it be the master cylinder? And also if it is the slave does the tranny have to be dropped to change it out?
Old 05-23-2006, 02:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Year of the car?

And yes if it was the slave the transmission would have to be seperated from the engine. The slave slides over the input shaft.
Old 05-23-2006, 03:00 PM
Launching!

Its a 99 ss. And I didnt see any fluid leaks.
Old 05-23-2006, 03:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

If the slave is leaking, you wont actually see it, it will leak into the bellhousing. Check the resovoir to see if you're losing fluid.

Honestly, it could be the slave or the master, or it could just be air in the line. Definately check the fluid, and bleed the line, see if that helps any.