Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Headlight question... '98 Formy

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 06:44 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight question... '98 Formy

Hi all,

I just picked up a '98 Formula from another member on this board, and am very happy with the car. I do have one gripe though, and I assume it is a common one. I did try to search but no matter what terms I used I kept coming up empty handed. My headlights pop up when I turn the switch to the parking light position. The headlights do not turn on, they simply rise from the resting position. Is there any way to fix this??

Thanks,

Nick
Old 05-23-2006, 10:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Viperguynick
Hi all,

I just picked up a '98 Formula from another member on this board, and am very happy with the car. I do have one gripe though, and I assume it is a common one. I did try to search but no matter what terms I used I kept coming up empty handed. My headlights pop up when I turn the switch to the parking light position. The headlights do not turn on, they simply rise from the resting position. Is there any way to fix this??

Thanks,

Nick
On my formy, if you turn it to the parking light position first they do not come up. If you go to headlights and then to parking light they stay up but the headlights will be off. Is this whats happening or no?
Old 05-23-2006, 10:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Do they grind when they go down or up?
Old 05-23-2006, 11:11 PM
Staging Lane

Luna - Happens both ways. The headlights pop up as soon as the switch is turned to the parking light position.

Jersey - The passenger's side is making the grinding noise when they go down, I plan on doing the 180* gear swap this weekend to alleviate that. Do you think that could be part of the problem?

Thanks for the quick replies, Hopefully I will be spending more time around here, and learning more as I go along.

Nick
Old 05-23-2006, 11:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

I dont know about the LS1 bird headlights, but when the passenger side gear went out on my LT1 TA it was giving me all sorts of problems, when I would unlock the car, the headlights would pop up, when I would turn on the foglights they would pop up, so it might be the gear thats causing all your grief, get a brass gear and be done with it, probably the best thing I ever did for the car
Old 05-24-2006, 04:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would try the free fix, basically turn the nylon gear 180*. If that doesn't work just buy the brass gear and viola, problem solved for good.
Old 05-24-2006, 04:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

THIS WILL SOLVE YOUR QUESTIONS. I had the samething happen just a few days ago and did a search on this board and found this link.

http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/headl....htm#FreeGuide

Quick Reply: Headlight question... '98 Formy