Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

NY - engine knock, where to get serviced

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 07:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default NY - engine knock, where to get serviced

hey guys. my car makes this knocking sound, im really not sure what it could be but its definately not coming from the valve train. it didnt show up one day its been a slow progession i guess. its louder when cold. i thought maybe a spun bearing but my oil pressure is over 40 at idle and pretty much perfect. there really isnt any metal in the oil ither. i also got an extended warrenty so i dont know where to take it. i live on staten island and took it to the dealer. they coundnt tell what the noise and basically talked me out of getting it fixed because the car performs fine. i asked them if it was piston slap and they said no. BUT i really dont trust them with it, the guy even said that their really only formilliar with Cadillac engines. Does anyone have any idea what can be causen this noise or a place I could bring it thats formilliar with ls1's? i live in staten island NY but am willing to drive to get this done right. thanks alot i really appreciate it
Old 05-23-2006, 08:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it's a Camaro take it to a dealer that sells and services Chevrolet's. If it is a Firebird take it to any Pontiac dealer. If you got the GM extended warranty you need to make GM fix it whatever it is. GM makes a killing on extended warranties and then has the ***** to try and weasel out of it. You just need to be persistent.

First ask to speak to the service manager and tell him you have been getting the run-around and then let him listen to the noise. Tell him you paid good money for the extended warranty and that they need to tell you what the problem is and how long it will take them to fix it. Do not ask him if it sounds normal. Do not tell him what you think it is. All you need to say is that it has been getting worse and you want it fixed. If they do not help make it clear that will tell everyone you know to avoid that dealer. Always be polite, never curse just be very clear that this is their problem and they need to diagnose it and fix it.

Typically knocking sounds are not good. Just because your oil pressure is good does not mean you may not have a serious engine problem. It may be something simple but if it has been getting progressively worse over time it may not be. It will be very difficult for anyone to tell you what is wrong without hearing it and IMHO this is the exact reason why you bought an extended warranty in the first place right?

Good luck and let us know how you make out.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:28 PM
Teching In

thanks for the reply. the extended warrenty isnt from GM so it doesnt have to be seriviced by them. i brought it to the pontiac/cadillac dealer. its funny that u mentioned to say that its getting worse becuase they even said if the noise gets worse then think about getting it fixed. and yeah thats the reason i got the warrenty...thanks again i appreciate it, so theres no where better then the dealer for something like this?
Old 05-24-2006, 06:47 AM
TECH Junkie

It is probably piston slap....It's a rareity if you have a '98-'02 LS1 motor that doesn't have it...Good luck w/that "non-GM" warranty.... WJ
Old 05-24-2006, 03:55 PM
Banned

If you want to come by our shop I will be happy to diagnose it free of charge.
Old 05-24-2006, 08:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

go to TTP!
Old 05-24-2006, 09:44 PM
Teching In

yeah that sounds like a really good idea...thanks Matt i appreciate it and WJ i really hope your right lol