Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Went to the track last night, is this normal for a stock A4?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 09:16 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Went to the track last night, is this normal for a stock A4?

Went to the track last night, first time. Have any of you guys / girls felt a "pause" for lack of better terms in the shift from 2nd to 3rd? See if this description helps:

Started the run in D (3rd), 1st gear...shifted, and when it was in second, you could feel it pull up the powerband, then it seemed to reach the peak............then shift. It wasn't shifting when it felt like it should be, kind of like it was pausing and then deciding to shift. I was running with a guy who I was staying well with, but when it hit that point, you could notice him pulling away a bit. Then it shifted and climbed back through the powerband again.

So I started the next run in OD (4th). Same thing. 1st to second..great. 2nd to D (3rd), climbs the powerband..............then shift. The guy I ran with on a few of those noticed, he asked if I was missing a shift or something.

Thought, suggestions? Fluids fine, could use a drain and filter change, but seems as that may affect the other gears as well. Valve body, shift points, or does it seem like I am thinking something is wrong and there really isn't? Thanks ya'all.

Dave K
Old 05-24-2006, 09:29 AM

This sounds like torque management is pulling timing just before your shifts. Do you have a way to scan your car during a pass? Look for a lower timing advance value just before each shift.
This can be programmed out of your PCM.

John
Old 05-24-2006, 09:48 AM
On The Tree

Hi John,

No, no way to scan. LOL, so many different ways to spend money and always trying to figure out what is best to do first! Always have wondered if scan software would be a wise decision, and it may well be a good start before any other mods. No idea of anyone around here with scanning software (Memphis).
Old 05-24-2006, 10:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by JNorris
This sounds like torque management is pulling timing just before your shifts. Do you have a way to scan your car during a pass? Look for a lower timing advance value just before each shift.
This can be programmed out of your PCM.

John
Jnorris is right on the money... shifts in a stock auto trans are way lame..its almost like they programed the trans for a women driver...LOL add a B&M shift kit and do some programing... should take care of that problem...u will need a poly trans mount toooooooo.
Old 05-24-2006, 10:22 AM

Post up in the PCM section and ask if there are any tuners in your area.
I can help you out if you are ever in the Montgomery, AL area.

John
Old 05-24-2006, 10:24 AM
11 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by my number 1 hater
Jnorris is right on the money... shifts in a stock auto trans are way lame..its almost like they programed the trans for a women driver...LOL add a B&M shift kit and do some programing... should take care of that problem...u will need a poly trans mount toooooooo.
Noooooooooooooooo stay away from the B+M shift kits! There has been a bunch of issues with them.If your gonna go with a shift kit get a trans-go
Old 05-24-2006, 10:43 AM
On The Tree

Thanks John, I will put a post there. Thinking of spending the cash on EFILive so I can start recording data. Not really wanting to mess with tuning until I knew quite a bit more of what, when, how and why. But data logging in itself seems it would be really useful for situations just like this!

Hater and EDS, thanks for the recommendations, kind of want to see what the data looks like to see if that should be there are I should go or hardware. I do agree though, shifts are weak as hell!
Old 05-24-2006, 11:42 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pauses between shifts? Haven't had that in a while.

It is the TM. I've had about 85% of mine tuned out for about a year and a half, and haven't burned anything up yet. That plus a custom shift kit means no waiting for the next gear!
Old 05-24-2006, 02:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

If your car is a 98 with the original cats, that could be slowing you down before the shifts. You could also be floating valves. I would defintiely spend a few bucks and get it on a dyno. Just looking at the curve can help ID the two issues I have named.

-Geoff
Old 05-24-2006, 02:56 PM
Banned

It's not the torque management. It's the 3-4 clutch material, condition, clearance. I had this problem with 700R4's, before they ever put TM in cars and correcting the 3-4 clutch problem fixed it every time.
You can cover it up quite a bit with tuning.
TM will feel more like it's falling flat on it's face.

A shift kit and TM delete will usually work ok, it's best to also tighten up the 3-4 clearance.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:53 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by 8a8mfh
It's not the torque management. It's the 3-4 clutch material, condition, clearance. I had this problem with 700R4's, before they ever put TM in cars and correcting the 3-4 clutch problem fixed it every time.
You can cover it up quite a bit with tuning.
TM will feel more like it's falling flat on it's face.

A shift kit and TM delete will usually work ok, it's best to also tighten up the 3-4 clearance.
He may have a point here, because complaints about torque management in 98's are rare to nonexistent.
Old 05-25-2006, 02:45 PM
On The Tree

Hmm, well wondering if I should live with it for now, look at other mods or tackle this now with a good tranny and a 3200 ish stall. I still want to get some tuning software, learn it and see what it says as well as a dyno run for baseline as not much is done to her yet. Thanks for the input, greatly appreciated.
Old 05-25-2006, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by RevGTO
He may have a point here, because complaints about torque management in 98's are rare to nonexistent.
Not correct.

My 98 would drop timing to 7 degrees on the 2-3 shift.
I just compared a stock1998 flash file to a stock 2000 and the 1998 torque management is much more sever at lower levels and the same from mid levels up.

John
Old 05-25-2006, 11:04 PM
10 Second Club

this is not abnormal at all, and is NOT torque management. my trans was like this for over a year. slight hesitation from the 2-3 shift, like the front would actually drop for a split second then it would shift.

like somebody above said it is the clutch clearance being too far. not much you can really do about it- i just dealt with it and got used to it. didn't really even bother me after a while. unless you want to yank the trans and have it adjusted .

i just smoked that trans though (god rest it's soul) so hopefully the next one doesn't do it
Old 05-26-2006, 10:20 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by JNorris
Not correct.

My 98 would drop timing to 7 degrees on the 2-3 shift.
I just compared a stock1998 flash file to a stock 2000 and the 1998 torque management is much more sever at lower levels and the same from mid levels up.

John
My stock 98 stock tune with TM routinely pulled 4 degrees of timing during shifts.
Old 05-26-2006, 11:22 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My 2002 slammed back to -10. Minus. That's where
the suck comes in. Still dropping back to 7 is going
to bog a bit. Just maybe not enough to bitch about.