LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Plug Wires

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 01:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Plug Wires

Alright, im having trouble with burning up my plug wires. I have a set of hooker shorties that have heat wrap on them and a set of accel 9000 high temp wires and they still got burned up. Anyone got any sugestions? like thoes heats boots for the wires and or a different set of wires?

oh ya does anyone have a computer for an OBDII LT1?
Old 05-24-2006, 01:18 PM
TECH Regular

Why dont you wrap the wires in heat tape as well?
Old 05-24-2006, 01:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Are any of the wires physically touching a header primary? Are the headers coated?

Few thoughts:

1) I would be hesitant to run heat wrap on the headers. It will lock in the heat and promote metal fatigue/corrosion. But, I understand that comes second to having a functional ignition.

2) Don't supose you have a picture of the plug routing? I might know of a little trick to keep the wires off the primaries, if they are too close. You'll note that there are some extra bolt holes along the cylinder head as shown HERE. I made some little brackets to bolt in there, with which, I could criss-cross the wires so they don't touch anything -- which you can kinda see in this photo. Anyway, just a thought. Keeping the wires off the primaries is half the battle.

I've been running standard 8.5mm MSD Superconductors (no heat protection), and a few boots practically touch the primaries. However, I've never had a burnt wire -- granted my headers are coated.

If that doesn't help, perhaps we can look into other alternatives...
Old 05-24-2006, 03:19 PM
Teching In

no my headers are not coated ya i guess the heads are cooler than the headers. thanks

this is the second set and the spark was arcking from the wires to the headers and now i think it fried my computer

Quick Reply: Plug Wires