Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Drill mod or new cylinder time

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 02:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Drill mod or new cylinder time? (Please Help)

Guys,
We need your help. My buddy has a problem with his clutch.
It is fine when it is in a normal heat range- No noises and the pedal is normal. When it is cold, , when you push in the clutch the throwout bearing will make noise. The clutch pedal is fine.
Now, when it gets hot, like in downtown Dallas traffic, again, the throwout bearing will do the same thing but the pedal will get mushy. When it cools back down, everything is fine.
Things that were done recently- Along with a tranny rebuild from T56rebuilds.com (Joe did a great job), we installed a LS-7 clutch kit. The master and slave cylinder where replaced about 10,000 miles ago with the 01/02 versions.
We did not do the drill mod.
Will the drill mod help this or are there parts( TOB and one of the cylinders) going bad again? I find it odd that the throwout bearing is not making the noise all the time if it is bad.
Incase you are wondering, we bled the system several times with the Mighty-Vac so there is no air, no leaks and new fluid.
What do you think guys???

Last edited by 331stroker; 05-25-2006 at 09:20 AM. Reason: No responses
Old 05-25-2006, 02:11 PM
Teching In

Ttttt
Old 05-25-2006, 03:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Id say to try the drill mod first...its free. If that doesnt work then probably time for a new master and possibley a slave.

It sounds like its just the fluid getting hot. Try the drill mod first though. You have nothing to lose.
Old 05-25-2006, 03:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh btw. I had a bad throwout bearing on my Spec3 that ONLY made noise on a cold start up. Just because it doesnt make noise all the time doesnt necessarily mean its not bad.
Old 05-25-2006, 04:01 PM
Teching In

Thanks for your response Shamson5.7.
We will do the drill mod this weekend. If that cures the soft peddle then we won't have to buy any more parts. My buddy already bought a Centerforce throwout bearing. Which by the way looks like an over priced bearing. It looks just like the stock tob but cost a hell of alot more. There is no markings on it to see who really made it.

Quick Reply: Drill mod or new cylinder time