General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Plug Wire Suggestions for Z28

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 03:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Plug Wire Suggestions for Z28

Ok, you guys have talked me into doing my own plug change. The delaer wanted 500 bucks, Screw that! I have a buddy who is going to help me next weekend. I got the NKG TR55 plugs and the indexing rachet people have been talking about but I figure I might as well change the wires while I was at it. I know a lot of folks will have different opinions on which is best but I'm looking for one or two to narrow it down to. My buddy says I should also consider making custom cables. I know my way around tools but i haven't worked on my own cars for 20 years so any advice would be greatly appriciated.

I'm also unemployed at the moment and don't want to break the bank doing this so please keep that in mind.
Old 05-24-2006, 05:10 PM
TECH Addict

Unless you damage one taking it off, the stock wires should work fine. Look them over for anything bad, and if nothing, then put them back
I'm guessing the car runs ok right now
Old 05-24-2006, 05:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would get a set of msd's or thundervolts and call it a day.
Old 05-24-2006, 05:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^^^^^

Agreed, hated the stupid heat shields - keep your old ones for spares in case you need one.
Old 05-24-2006, 06:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2K2WS6TA
Unless you damage one taking it off, the stock wires should work fine. Look them over for anything bad, and if nothing, then put them back
I'm guessing the car runs ok right now
I would try and keep them to save money but I've read where the first time you try and remove them they can be really tough and it easy to break them. I don't want to be in the middle of the job and have to run out and get wires. I figure I'll just use them as spares if I get them off without breaking them.
Old 05-27-2006, 01:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok guys, I got the tools, I got the plugs and I ordered the MSD wires for 55 bucks from ebay. Is it everyone's opinion that I should remove the coil pack brackets to get to the pulgs easier? How many screws hold those on? I'd love to get a relocation bracket as well but since I just ordered stock wires I'm guessing they won't work on the relocation brackets. Thanks again for all your help.
Old 05-27-2006, 06:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

yes, especially on the passenger side, unless you like ripping your forearm open. Get a 1/4" rachet with a 1/4-3/8 adapter and slap that bitch right on #8. Even better, if you have the thumbwheel ratchet after it's broken free!
LS1 plug changes are no big deal at all. Just a couple of whiny bitches and the dealership prices/labor time have everyone scared.
BTW, a LOT of places you take the car too doesn't even change #8 and sometimes skips #6 as well. I've seen a few cars have 6 or 7 new plugs only!
Good luck, maybe go for #8 and 6 first, then the rest will be cake!
Old 05-27-2006, 07:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok thanks. I got a few tools to make the job easier. Of course I already have a full set of Craftsman wrenches, sockets, etc and through a combination of Home Depot gift cards and ebay points I picked up the below pictured tools as well.

The bottom tool is a GM 3/4" 5 degree ratcheting box wrench then I got the shorty 16mm (5/8) spark plug socket, which fits perfectly inside the box wrench and both the 1/4 and 3/8" indexing ratchets. I figure I should have everything I need once the MSD wires show up on Tuesday.

Thanks for all the help. I used to work on my own cars 20 years ago but that also forced me to walk a lot as I would lose patients and break things but hopefully the fact that this is not my daily driver and I have 20 years more patients (having a kid will do that) I figure it's worth a try.

Old 05-29-2006, 02:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cool Wrenchches. Prolly not nesceary. Just take your time its not hard. Another thing that makes it easier is to get some headers
Old 05-29-2006, 02:36 PM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fock! Changing plugs and wires (original ones) kicked my ***! It took me 12 hours to get EVERYTHING done. I wasn't planning on changing wires but I snapped the #8 wire trying to pry it off. I had to use my breaker bar to get these plugs off the head, apparently the canadians never thought of using anti-seize lube. Anyways, I'm glad that I'm done and I love how the car have more ummph! NGKs rule.
Old 05-29-2006, 02:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

LMFAO Bene. Yeah the first time they ever get changed is a pain in the *** for sure. I used a breaker bar as well where i could.
Old 05-29-2006, 03:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Pwebbz28
Cool Wrenchches. Prolly not nesceary. Just take your time its not hard. Another thing that makes it easier is to get some headers
Maybe not but I got to add some really cool tools to my tool box

I've read a lot here and it seems like the 3/8" indexing ratchet IS the key to getting number 8 out quickly. We shall see.

Thanks for all the responses guys. I went with the NKG TR55 plugs and 8.5mm MSD wires. Everything should arrive tomorrow or Weds. and then I'm going to tackle the job.
Old 05-29-2006, 08:34 PM
TECH Resident

It took me 3 hours to get my plugs/wires swapped out ( first time ). That's with a few aggravation and beer breaks. My arms were scratched all up but the satisfaction afterwards was way worth it.
Old 05-29-2006, 10:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Get a friend to help that hasent done it before either. Let him do the passenger side while you do the driver side.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Pwebbz28
Get a friend to help that hasent done it before either. Let him do the passenger side while you do the driver side.
I will never be your friend!
Old 06-03-2006, 11:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BatmobileSS
I will never be your friend!
I did the job yesterday and did have a friend help me but he knew all about it before he came over. All told it took about 4 solid hours to nearly complete the job. All I have left is to put the AIR tubes back on. Here is the whole story of my plug/wire change. And I talked to my buddy this morning and at least he is still talking to me

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-maintenance-repairs/518690-i-did-my-own-plugs-wires-tonight-thanks-forum.html