Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tired of the loudmouth, which CHAMBERED muffler?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 11:06 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tired of the loudmouth, which CHAMBERED muffler?

hey guys, ive had my car for a lil less then a year, came with the LM1, sounded great for the 1st couple of months.

but after i while, im sorry but im tired of it

its jus LOUD VOLUME AND NOISE, no tone wut so ever

i mean it sounds great at WOT but how often can i do that? lol

anyways, ive looked into the chambered exhaust and gmmg is....AMAZING

thing is, i dont wanna pay an arm and a leg to get one

any suggestions on what type of chambered muffler or pipe to go with stock y-pipe and soon to be aftermarket cats? also im keepin the stock headers

im trying to achieve loudness but with attitude(tone)

thanks guys, ur responses would be much appreciated

ryan
Old 05-24-2006, 11:23 PM
TECH Addict

I believe there are a couple companies on Ebay that make them, but I would probably go with a Sweet Thunder chambered muffler. If you want, you can hear it on Silver02TA's website with his Rumbler catback.
Old 05-25-2006, 12:51 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Scotty-Z
I believe there are a couple companies on Ebay that make them, but I would probably go with a Sweet Thunder chambered muffler. If you want, you can hear it on Silver02TA's website with his Rumbler catback.
yup, videos in my sig link that setup was wicked loud and mean sounding..

I since switched it out with the Hooker catback, not as loud but very smooth.
Old 05-25-2006, 01:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Flowmaster need I say more?
Old 05-25-2006, 04:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

The easiest option would be to chop out the LM1 resonator and some of the I pipe before it and fit a Powerstick chambered muffler in there (probably as long as you can fit, as the longer the muffler the more toned the sound will be also you won't be running any other mufflers so you need something to reduce the db level).

A Powerstick is very similar to the mufflers used on the GMMG. However it doesn't neck down like the Sweet Thunders do, so they are better for flow and HP.

Use Google to search for Classic Chambered Exhausts.

They are also very cheap.

Be warned, swapping in this kind of muffler will only alter the sound and probably not the volume.

Flowmaster 10 Series mufflers are nice but too boxy to fit where the LM resonator is, you would have to custom fab them after the axle before each tip.
Old 05-25-2006, 07:20 AM
Board Certified Idiot

In this world Man you get what you pay for. on Our cars.. DO Right I say... You say you cant justfy paying that much for a Top quality Exhaust.. Yet to me that makes No sence.. More or less sounds Like your Just Anxious Or better yet IMPAIENT. To have a New Exhaust on your Car. But why not just wait the extra few months and save up for the differnce of the better exhaust/??? In a long run is a few months differ then not havingwhat you really wanted?
Old 05-25-2006, 09:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
The easiest option would be to chop out the LM1 resonator and some of the I pipe before it and fit a Powerstick chambered muffler in there (probably as long as you can fit, as the longer the muffler the more toned the sound will be also you won't be running any other mufflers so you need something to reduce the db level).

A Powerstick is very similar to the mufflers used on the GMMG. However it doesn't neck down like the Sweet Thunders do, so they are better for flow and HP.

Use Google to search for Classic Chambered Exhausts.

They are also very cheap.

Be warned, swapping in this kind of muffler will only alter the sound and probably not the volume.

Flowmaster 10 Series mufflers are nice but too boxy to fit where the LM resonator is, you would have to custom fab them after the axle before each tip.
This is excellent advice.
Old 05-25-2006, 11:58 AM
Teching In

are ya lookin to get rid of your loudmouths? if so, lemme know, im actually in the hunt for a setup right now
Old 05-25-2006, 12:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

i hope im not in this position when i install headers and ory, but i dont think thats gonna happen. gmmg would be my second choice.
Old 05-25-2006, 12:50 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Z2K_MrJ
In this world Man you get what you pay for. on Our cars.. DO Right I say... You say you cant justfy paying that much for a Top quality Exhaust.. Yet to me that makes No sence.. More or less sounds Like your Just Anxious Or better yet IMPAIENT. To have a New Exhaust on your Car. But why not just wait the extra few months and save up for the differnce of the better exhaust/??? In a long run is a few months differ then not havingwhat you really wanted?
we have a winner! this man is correct. this is what you do:

-buy the GMMG for 700 bucks.

-sell your loudmouth for 200.

there ya go, GMMG in the end will cost you 500 bucks. that's not too terrible when you look at it that way.
Old 05-25-2006, 07:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
we have a winner! this man is correct. this is what you do:

-buy the GMMG for 700 bucks.

-sell your loudmouth for 200.

there ya go, GMMG in the end will cost you 500 bucks. that's not too terrible when you look at it that way.
I couldn't agree more. If I can't do it right the first time, wait till the funds are there to do it right the 1st time. Been there done that with my 82 Z. I spent more money swaping parts then what it would have cost to do it right the 1st time. Lesson learned and I have yet to make a mistake on the SS. Tech has alot to do with that though.
Old 05-25-2006, 10:58 PM
On The Tree

get the powerstick muffler in the I pipe... you will be VERY happy with it
Old 05-26-2006, 10:28 AM
Staging Lane

Here's a man that KNOWS what he is talking about! I'm gonna raise my pricing to justify the better sound, tuning, & flow.
Old 05-26-2006, 06:44 PM
Launching!

i guess ur right, but 700 bucks can go towards alot of things

oh and The Big Lebowski is THEE MOVIE....DUDE!!!
Old 05-26-2006, 06:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

I agree. Patience is a virtue, and If I am going to do something to my car, then I'm going to do it right the first time.

I'm a poor college student and saving for a GMMG. It'll be worth it in the long run.
Old 05-26-2006, 09:00 PM
Teching In

Not sure if these cars are the same (LT1 vs LS1)but I'd think so. I had a Flowmaster on my 96 Z and loved it. Normally I don't like them (hate the sound on Stangs), but I loved it on this car. No drone, not loud, and sounded great. It was on the car when I bought it, but I believe they have an FBody specific muffler...go with this. Matter of fact that's what I'm plannin to put on our new car.

Derck
Old 05-26-2006, 09:08 PM
On The Tree

borla xr1 round muffler sounds best