LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

I just got a New PENDANT for my Italian rope chain

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 11:23 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default I just got a New PENDANT for my Italian rope chain

I just thought you guys might like to see how fantastic these fuel rails turned out ! I purchased a set of 96 fuel rails and had natural finish aluminum an fittings welded into the ends (-6 an on the front an back)with extra thick weld. I then had them mirror polished (including the welds). I am very happy with the results on the rails !!!

These rails look so good, I thought I might have to go old school Italian mob with the wife-beater and hang one of the fuel rails from my chain. LOL

Any questions on the details or where to have this done please PM me.

ML
Old 05-24-2006, 11:28 PM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

****! I hate Shiny stuff, but those look damn good.
Old 05-24-2006, 11:36 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks good! I think I was in love with mine when they came back from the welder
Old 05-25-2006, 10:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You may run into some problems with the front fittings. Seems the threads on there made for nice places to get little pinholes for a leak.
Pressurize them soon, before its too late to make the welder fix em.
I basically ruined two sets of 96 rails in an attempt to do the same damn thing. I ended up making some female pipe thread bungs for the fronts that I notched to mate to the rail as nicely as possible. Then finally the weld was able to seal the damn things.
Those threads are scary, I hope you dont have any problems with them.
Old 05-25-2006, 12:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Looks good, what was the total cost? used rails, fittings, and welding?
Old 05-25-2006, 12:16 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Fire67
You may run into some problems with the front fittings. Seems the threads on there made for nice places to get little pinholes for a leak.
Pressurize them soon, before its too late to make the welder fix em.
I basically ruined two sets of 96 rails in an attempt to do the same damn thing. I ended up making some female pipe thread bungs for the fronts that I notched to mate to the rail as nicely as possible. Then finally the weld was able to seal the damn things.
Those threads are scary, I hope you dont have any problems with them.
I actually had the welder put alot of additional weld material so I could polish it down and make sure I don't have leaks I will definitely take your advice on having them pressure tested ( I was going to do that to be on the safe side anyway ) Does anyone know the maximum amount of pressure the rails will need to see before I know there safe ? Where would I have something like this pressure tested properly ?

NotaCop97z: Used fuel rails cost (varies) I paid about $20 used, all the AN fittings front & rear both sides plus extra thick welding ($125 to $150) and polishing about $85 to $100.
Total cost:
Low side = $230
High side = $270
Old 05-25-2006, 12:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 96silverram

NotaCop97z: Used fuel rails cost (varies) I paid about $20 used, all the AN fittings front & rear both sides plus extra thick welding ($125 to $150) and polishing about $85 to $100.
Total cost:
Low side = $230
High side = $270
Cool Ill do the polishing myself and save a grip!!!
Old 05-25-2006, 12:33 PM
12 Second Club

That's cool, I just don't always have the time to spend on something like the rails to get them perfect.
Old 05-25-2006, 12:38 PM
11 Second Club

That's cool, I just don't always have the time to spend on something like the rails to get them perfect.
time you have all the time in the world BALLA
Old 05-25-2006, 05:54 PM
9 Second Club

those look awesome..definitely pressure test em tho....
Old 05-25-2006, 06:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

polishing about $85 to $100.
That pisses me off. Fuel rails are the absolute EASIEST thing on the whole LT1 engine to polish. It would take me 1.5 to 2 hours TOPS to replicate that. No way in hell could I justify charging someone $40-$50 an hour for polishing. More like $20 total .

Sorry if I'm coming off as hostile, I just get upset when I see people getting taken advantage of. The rails look really nice though.
Old 05-25-2006, 07:10 PM
12 Second Club

It's not really being taken advantage of when your after a very specific end result and want to count on someone. Let me say it this way, it did not cost me $85 (not even close, but I believe that is what he wants to do another set). I could be wrong.....

Either way, I'm happy !

Z284thGen, Shot-Calla !!!
Old 05-25-2006, 09:05 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by thesoundandthefury
That pisses me off. Fuel rails are the absolute EASIEST thing on the whole LT1 engine to polish. It would take me 1.5 to 2 hours TOPS to replicate that. No way in hell could I justify charging someone $40-$50 an hour for polishing. More like $20 total .

Sorry if I'm coming off as hostile, I just get upset when I see people getting taken advantage of. The rails look really nice though.

What can we say. your a Cheap ***

If you want SOME ONE ELSE to polish your stuff expect to pay for there time. Shop time is $85 and hour figure it out IF You won't pay it people who have better things to do with there time(like charge $600 an hour) will. So move along

Not trying to be an *** either just spelling out reality here
Old 05-25-2006, 10:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
What can we say. your a Cheap ***

If you want SOME ONE ELSE to polish your stuff expect to pay for there time. Shop time is $85 and hour figure it out IF You won't pay it people who have better things to do with there time(like charge $600 an hour) will.

Not trying to be an *** either just spelling out reality here
Not trying to be an *** but you need to work on your reading comprehension skills. Cheapass? First of all I was saying that if it were me doing the service I would have only charged him $20. NOT that $20 is all that I can afford. There's a difference. If I'm doing the service I'll set the price at anything I damn well please. THAT'S reality.

So move along
Who the hell do you think you are? The polishing police?
Old 05-26-2006, 12:13 AM
10 Second Club

Not trying to be an *** but you need to work on your reading comprehension skills. Cheapass? First of all I was saying that if it were me doing the service I would have only charged him $20. NOT that $20 is all that I can afford. There's a difference. If I'm doing the service I'll set the price at anything I damn well please. THAT'S reality.

Who the hell do you think you are? The polishing police?

Yes I am the polishing police and I can see you would quickly go out of business

How the hell you going to run a business on $80-$100 a day?

Point being you can't..... why should you expect anyone else to?
Old 05-26-2006, 01:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

How the hell you going to run a business on $80-$100 a day? Point being you can't..... why should you expect anyone else to?
Are you in the polishing business or something? Because you come off like you're personally insulted that somebody would offer that service at a competitive rate. How I'd run a business on $80-$100 a day isn't important. What matters is that I CAN .

I never said I expected anybody else to do anything. If somebody thinks they're good enough to be able to charge $40-$50 an hour for polishing services then more power to em. They're just gonna have to figure out how to deal with me when I set my price at $10. Survival of the fittest....you know how that goes.

I dunno about anybody else here, but I've always thought that getting the same product for less money was a good thing.

Last edited by thesoundandthefury; 05-26-2006 at 01:47 AM.
Old 05-26-2006, 01:57 AM
10 Second Club

Nope not in the "polishing business" but do work with people who are.

I See it all the time. people coming in and raging how some thing is WAY to exsensive when they really have no clue what it takes to open the doors every day on a real business.

AND YES I can tell you how they would deal with you charging that price...they would let you do your thing and about the time you went broke offer help or let you go away

Like you said survival of the fittest $100 a day won't open the doors for the first hour
Old 05-26-2006, 02:41 AM
12 Second Club

If you have a marketing degree (IU Grad), (don't take the info personal ) you will also realize that setting a price too low can cause the consumer to question the quality of work/product. There is a direct relationship of price/quality to value of service. I realize this is not a business class, but understand there is more to a sale then just the lowest price. Building a business and having VAB (value added benefits) to your service or product is a very real thing in a successful business model. Now back to the regularly scheduled program

Last edited by 96silverram; 05-26-2006 at 02:47 AM.
Old 05-26-2006, 02:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

AND YES I can tell you how they would deal with you charging that price...they would let you do your thing and about the time you went broke offer help or let you go away
Wow, now you're talking like you know me personally. You assume alot don't you? Like, that I'd need to do this to survive?

I See it all the time. people coming in and raging how some thing is WAY to exsensive when they really have no clue what it takes to open the doors every day on a real business.
I see it all the time too: business owner always complaining that he's broke, has to practically give away his product,always on the verge of closing up shop, can't make rent, kids are starving...and right after he gets done turning his customers around and bending them over with that story, he walks into the back room to laugh to himself while he counts his pile of money.

Like you said survival of the fittest $100 a day won't open the doors for the first hour
I know how much money it costs to keep my doors open, because they were already open long before I ever made my first dollar polishing, and they will continue to be open whether another dollar from polishing ever comes through or not. Yep, survival of the fittest.

On that note, anybody want their fuel rails polished for FREE?
Old 05-26-2006, 02:54 AM
12 Second Club

Well, I guess if your gonna take everything said with a grain of salt. Do you want to polish my intake for FREE I know most guys that do quality polish work would not touch a LT1 intake for less than $300/$400. I'm game, I will even pay the shipping both ways. I caution you on taking me up on the offer, my expectations of the end results will still be the same as if I paid $300 plus dollars for very high-end work.

Let me know......
Can we let this thread get back to what it was intended ?

Quick Reply: I just got a New PENDANT for my Italian rope chain