Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Comp Cams "Cam Help Call Line" what a Joke!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 03:31 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Comp Cams "Cam Help Call Line" what a Joke!!!

Called Comp Cams “Cam Help Line” today about XFI and LSK lobes.

He stated that the “LSK was a solid roller application only and that anybody using that lobe with hydraulic roller lifts WILL break, if not today very soon”

Secondly the XFI lobe numbers I asked about he stated the lifts to me with a 1.7 rocker were completely different than the Comp Camps catalog states. He got pissed off that I questioned the lift numbers. There was not anyway he could have been less helpful or more of a complete jerk. The phrase “Comp Cams Cam Help” was completely laughable.

If Comp Cams ever reads this PM me and we can talk about this at length.
Old 05-25-2006, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by M2SPEED
Called Comp Cams “Cam Help Line” today about XFI and LSK lobes.

He stated that the “LSK was a solid roller application only and that anybody using that lobe with hydraulic roller lifts WILL break, if not today very soon”

Secondly the XFI lobe numbers I asked about he stated the lifts to me with a 1.7 rocker were completely different than the Comp Camps catalog states. He got pissed off that I questioned the lift numbers. There was not anyway he could have been less helpful or more of a complete jerk. The phrase “Comp Cams Cam Help” was completely laughable.

If Comp Cams ever reads this PM me and we can talk about this at length.
Not to be rude to anyone, but I think their simple tech line is for people with no current knowlegde of cam specs. I was under the impression that it was sort of a minium wage job. You basically tell them a close idea of what you have and they pick a grind off a chart and suggest it.

Do you have "gears and a converter sir"? That type of question.

I don't think you can talk to their "good techs" by simply dialing a 800-number.

Good luck,
Ben T.
Old 05-25-2006, 04:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was on hold for friggin forever! I'm surprised you even got through! I eventually hung up.
Old 05-25-2006, 05:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

call thunder racing or tsp...studytime is right, that "tech line" is not really meant for the hardcore users, lol.
Old 05-25-2006, 05:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Apparently they have more cam lobes than what is "listed". I called last week and the Tech gave me numbers for a cam lobe that I couldn't find listed anywhere. Being the skeptic that I am, I called back the next day, spoke with a different Rep, gave him the lobe number and he verified that it was good. He then gave me the same specs the guy had given me the day before. I learned that just because a lobe isn't listed, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
Old 05-25-2006, 06:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Your experience must have been frustrating to say the least. Sorry to hear about it. BTW, did you give them a second chance? IMHO, everyone deserves one of those.

My calls to Comp Cams Help have produced excellant results. I have called several times, spoken to different reps and found them to be knowledgeable, helpful and friendly. No, I'm not a noob to cams. I do know the difference between ICL and LSA. I am not, however, a guru either. That's just my experience. HTH
Old 05-25-2006, 07:14 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TeeKay
Your experience must have been frustrating to say the least. Sorry to hear about it. BTW, did you give them a second chance? IMHO, everyone deserves one of those.

You are right. I have had a chance to cool down. The person I spoke with was plain to see he was instructed to ask my application to input into some formula to make a recommendation on cams they stock. He was completely lost when I told him I wanted to run at a certain DCR. He told me they never look at that to select a cam shaft. I told him that I was thinking about 110 LSA and his responses was “What the hell for?”
He had no knowledge to be able to discuss the pros and cons between lobe profiles. I was the idiot for even bring up LSK lobes.

My bad for not getting his name. I might try calling again or trying their local number to find someone who can possibly help.

I am not one of most knowledgeable on the subject and that’s a fact, but not a complete dumb *** either.

I sold my TR224 114 LSA a couple of weeks ago to someone on this forum. I like J-rods statement about not being a lazy F*ck and do my home work to find the best grind for my particular setup. I real like the idea of a custom grind to get it as close as possible. I think Patrick G. has done a great job in leading the way.
Old 05-26-2006, 01:03 AM
On The Tree

I had a similar experience with both Comp and Crane.
I guess the big question is....Do they have people there you can talk to in depth?
Old 05-26-2006, 07:21 AM
11 Second Club

I called the help line to ask for a replacement cam card and some very basic tech info. I was treated like absolute dog ****. It was obvious to me that if it weren't for their superior product, a company that treats their customers like they did me would go out of business in a very big hurry.
Old 05-26-2006, 04:39 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Gearhead1
Apparently they have more cam lobes than what is "listed". I called last week and the Tech gave me numbers for a cam lobe that I couldn't find listed anywhere. Being the skeptic that I am, I called back the next day, spoke with a different Rep, gave him the lobe number and he verified that it was good. He then gave me the same specs the guy had given me the day before. I learned that just because a lobe isn't listed, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
Welcome to the world of "our cams are made special for us" line that everyone tells you when you ask...