Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TCI SSF 3500 lockup problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 03:56 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default TCI SSF 3500 lockup problem

My TC has been doing fine since I installed about 17,000 miles ago. Just the other day when it locked they car started shuttering/shaking really bad, if I gave it a little gas or let off the shutter/shaking would stop. It seems to be locking fine and when it suppose to. Although today it only did this once and the rest of the time it locked and drove fine. Does this sound like a bad lockup clutch?
Old 05-26-2006, 08:28 AM
TECH Resident

Anyone?
Old 05-26-2006, 08:41 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would learn towards a converter problem, especially if you've been running your current setup for a while w/ no problems.

What you are describing is typical of the converter shuttering because it is locking up too early. Usually happens on cars running a decent cam, and or low line pressure.

You could try pushing your lockup another 5 mph.

But, If it's been fine all along the converter clutches may be heading south.
Old 05-26-2006, 02:06 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DannoWS6
I would learn towards a converter problem, especially if you've been running your current setup for a while w/ no problems.

What you are describing is typical of the converter shuttering because it is locking up too early. Usually happens on cars running a decent cam, and or low line pressure.

You could try pushing your lockup another 5 mph.

But, If it's been fine all along the converter clutches may be heading south.
That is what I was thinking I bumped the lockup speed up to 45 in 4th but is still does it sometimes.. If the converter clutch is going bad would that make my fluid turn brown? It bucks as low speeds with my cam, I know that is normal but this is a downright shutter/bad vibration..
Old 05-26-2006, 03:41 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Joel_SS
That is what I was thinking I bumped the lockup speed up to 45 in 4th but is still does it sometimes.. If the converter clutch is going bad would that make my fluid turn brown? It bucks as low speeds with my cam, I know that is normal but this is a downright shutter/bad vibration..

If the fluid is dark brown, it's more likely a tranny clutch pack. Alhough a spent converter I am sure would slightly change the color.

I would check your fluid levels too. Maybe have somebody A-tap your car. It's better to do the simple inexpensive things 1st before you drop $ for a new converter.

If the car is bucking at low speeds it might be your tune, and/or the converter not unlocking. Your best bet is to check the fluid and then have a tuner look at it.
Old 05-26-2006, 03:54 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you have this converter on a built tranny? Or at least better than stock?