Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

LUK progold clutch?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 04:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LUK progold clutch?!

Since LUK is OEM on our cars and the majority of the automakers, they have a performance clutch they make. Anyone know of it? http://www.lukprogold.com/main.phtml

Since LUK is such a good name, think this would be good?
Old 05-25-2006, 04:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,386 Likes on 875 Posts

There are a lot of excellent features that a stock clutch has that many of the aftermarket ones do not. The most important one is the self adjusting pressure plate. The stock clutch uses a patented design that compensates for the wear of the disk. I wonder if the Luk Gold clutches have that same feature?

Andrew
Old 05-25-2006, 04:41 PM

Yes it does. I remember reading that somewhere. LUK is who developed that technology.
Old 05-25-2006, 09:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Just installed a LUK Pro-Gold with aluminum flywheel 2-weeks ago. Love it so far. No issues at all. No shims to mess with, pedel feels great, no chattering. I did the drill mod and installed a new slave also.
I should get a chance to test it with the nitrous this weekend. The stock clutch departed on the third hit of juice It did not break, but started slipping only when the nitrous was on.
Old 05-26-2006, 09:55 AM
TECH Resident

how much did u pay for this luk gold with alum flywheel
Old 05-26-2006, 01:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

$849.00 for the kit. Came with Disc, Pressure Plate, Aluminum Flywheel, Pilot bearing, and Throughout bearing.

The Flywheel has a replacable steal insert for the clutch surface.
Old 05-26-2006, 04:19 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Technoman64
$849.00 for the kit. Came with Disc, Pressure Plate, Aluminum Flywheel, Pilot bearing, and Throughout bearing.

The Flywheel has a replacable steal insert for the clutch surface.
Maybe a dumb question, but are the starter teeth on the flywheel aluminum also? Or is there a steel insert ring for that? I ask only to see how wear is from the starter if the teeth are alum. Like I said, dumb question.
Old 05-26-2006, 05:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,386 Likes on 875 Posts

Originally Posted by Keysplayr
Maybe a dumb question, but are the starter teeth on the flywheel aluminum also? Or is there a steel insert ring for that? I ask only to see how wear is from the starter if the teeth are alum. Like I said, dumb question.
I have never seen an aluminum flywheel that had aluminum starter engagement teeth. There is a pressed on ring gear that gets mounted on the flywheel. These ring gears are usually made of iron.

Did the aluminum flywheel have Helicoil inserts for the cover bolts or did it just thread into the aluminum?

Andrew
Old 05-26-2006, 10:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Iron starter ring for sure. Aluminum threads for mounting the pressure plate. I have had other aluminum flywheels that the thread qaulity was not as good. Qaulity seemed very good when I did the install. I put just a tad of Blue Loctite on the threads also.

Tortered the clutch for the first time tonight. It held and did not slip. I would estimate approx 350 miles on it since install. I am sure my definition of torture is not the same as others. I did drive very agressive with a power adder though.
Old 05-31-2006, 09:46 PM
8 Second Club

Don't get too excited-it's just a 02 and up Z06 clutch-and FWIW it can't handle anymore power than a stock Z06 can throw at it-ask me i know.
Old 06-03-2006, 09:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When i was researching I found that the ProGold with aluminum flywheel is basically just the Z06 clutch, with a Fidanza Aluminum flywheel. I got mine for $625 so i still think its a decent deal. A couple companies that use the LUK clutch often claim that it has a different material on the disc but nobody could actually confirm this.
Old 06-03-2006, 10:50 AM
Teching In

The disc does have a higher quality organic friction material. It does not really have a higher coefficient of friction, but it will last longer and have better engagement qualities.

Chris
Old 02-06-2007, 05:56 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Vortech
Don't get too excited-it's just a 02 and up Z06 clutch-and FWIW it can't handle anymore power than a stock Z06 can throw at it-ask me i know.
Chaps.

Hi - I am running a Z06 lump backed up by a std (I think Camaro flywheel - well presume this because the gbox on the Vette is in the back and not sure you would have a HUGE flywheel back there???). Clutch is a LUK Self adjusting thing and IS JUNK.

All fine 95% of the time but when I do give it 6k + revs through 2nd, 3rd, 4th and into 5th often I do not get to 5th just get stuck between 4th and 5th. Or stuck in a gear and I can't get it out - have to coast for a while then gentle pull it in or try to engage if in between.

Doing my head in.

At first thought it could be the release bearing line from here to the master cylinder not being big enough (but pulled engine and changed this to a larger (plenty big enough) bore line - still the same. Is this just telling me the Clutch and flywheel Combo is SH&T?

Car is realtively light at 1100kg maybe this makes it worse - though can't think why.

***Can someone recomend a reasonably priced light flywheel and much uprated clutch over the LUK junk (Single plate preferably).

Cheers
Jon

Quick Reply: LUK progold clutch?!