Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

procharger cam ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 05:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default procharger cam ?

starting to get a list together of parts for my future buildup. First of all the goals are over 650rwhp, still streetable , capable of low 10's. Block will be forged 346 with afr205 heads(66cc already have these would like to use them) therefore i would need a large dish piston like -22cc. Upgrade my fuel injectors to some 60lbers. Purchasing d1sc procharger would like to run about 12-15 psi (probably spraying with meth ). My real question is what camshaft to use with this setup. I know most are going to say custom cam but what kind of specs on the cam for reference?
Old 05-26-2006, 05:28 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out the Comp custom grind that we use and sell in the store area of my website. We have found this camshaft to work exceptionally well with the ATI ProChargers, and it is the camshaft I will be installing in my own Z28. Bob
Old 05-27-2006, 01:51 AM
On The Tree

Bob, I am assuming you mean this one:

EPP LS Forced Induction Camshaft

(Click to enlarge) Product: #EPP LS Forced Induction Camshaft - EPP LS Forced Induction Camshaft

Does it come with lifters also? If so it is an incredible deal! One thing though, having a lift of .595, do you have to set the lash repeatedly, or is it pretty much no-maintenance?!! I was considering the Z06 cam myself, but like the healthy numbers of this cam. How is the driveability?? What gains or loss would you have vs. an 02 Z06 cam? Low end vs high? I really think he should consider this cam if it is all it is cracked up to be.
Old 05-27-2006, 06:04 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Smile

Originally Posted by Dave D
Bob, I am assuming you mean this one:

EPP LS Forced Induction Camshaft

(Click to enlarge) Product: #EPP LS Forced Induction Camshaft - EPP LS Forced Induction Camshaft

Does it come with lifters also? If so it is an incredible deal! One thing though, having a lift of .595, do you have to set the lash repeatedly, or is it pretty much no-maintenance?!! I was considering the Z06 cam myself, but like the healthy numbers of this cam. How is the driveability?? What gains or loss would you have vs. an 02 Z06 cam? Low end vs high? I really think he should consider this cam if it is all it is cracked up to be.
It certainly would be an incredible deal if lifters were included. lol
Hydraulic roller camshafts typically do not include lifters as part of a camshaft package, as the lifters do not need to be changed unless there is a problem with one of them. There is no regular lash adjustments that have to be made. Driveability is very good, much better than what it would of been years earlier in an old school non computerized engine. Some of the low end power is lost with this camshaft, but the mid and top end power is really increased when compared to the Z06 camshaft. The 02 Z06 camshaft is a great all around camshaft when used for forced induction, but if you want to add the sounds of an old school musclecar to your car, this cam will deliver the sound plus it will add a lot of top end power. Bob
Old 05-28-2006, 02:02 AM
On The Tree

Bob- did you mean that the stock lifters from our LS1 cars cn be used on this cam or did I read this wrong? I have a friend with a .601 lift and he has to set the lash on his often. He said generally, a cam under .600 would not need maintenance as often; just wondered if it was pretty much plug and play. thanks!
Old 05-28-2006, 05:14 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

If your friend has a LS engine, he must of converted over to a solid roller. Hydraulic rollers should not have to have the lash readjusted. It should indeed be a one time deal. Bob
Old 05-29-2006, 02:18 AM
On The Tree

I am unsure of his cam, but it is a 2000 SS. I know he built this motor back in the times before the availability of LS parts that we have now. I will ask him next time I see him. (In case Zombie or anyone else reads this, it's Brandon Winters from our LVFbody club- please chime in if you know what he is running). Anyway, back on target here. Bob can you tell us the estimated loss/gains of this cam? I was totally sold on the Z06 cam, with 1.8 Harland rockers for FI, but your cam seems to be a sound choice also. I would like to know for instance, what the estimated low end loss vs. a Z06 cam is, and what the estimated gain would be on midrange/high end. What is this cam's power range also? I am also interested in a cam for FI as you know, and yours sounds like a good product. Please share more on it since a whole lot of us run the 06 cam.
Old 05-29-2006, 06:32 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

We haven't done any testing as such to see the power loss down low with the camshaft we offer from Comp. I can tell you that we recently built a 6.0L in a Trans-Am for a customer from Virginia who had cracked his #5 piston, and we used a D-1SC ProCharger with this camshaft. We settled on 10 psi of boost on this car, as it still had the stock fuel lines and the customer only had so much money to spend. This car pulls extremely hard with no lack of power down low at all. Bob
Old 05-30-2006, 02:28 AM
On The Tree

I had a customer at my second job pull in with an 01 WS-6 that has a cam with similar numbers today. He is running a 75 shot of nitrous, and the car pulled hard out of the hole (in our parking lot). I was telling him about the cam you offer and he said his numbers are VERY close. It is alos a custom grind he had made. I can personally attest this cam sounded awesome at idle and throughout his smoky burnout. I will be ordering this cam from you soon, Bob!!!
Old 05-30-2006, 05:53 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Cool, thanks! Bob
Old 05-30-2006, 09:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bob don't suppose you would have a video or sound clip of this cam do you?

Must of had a good weekend forgot to return my call friday.
Old 05-31-2006, 04:58 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Exclamation

Originally Posted by 618HAWK
Bob don't suppose you would have a video or sound clip of this cam do you?

Must of had a good weekend forgot to return my call friday.
Yes I do, the Camaro SS with the STS Turbo has this camshaft, and there are video clips in the project car section of my website.
The phone company had rerouted our phone lines, but forgot to reconnect them in our building. Guess what happened when they shut down the one set of lines yesterday morning???!!!!!!!!! Bob