Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

head bolt torque question

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 09:42 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default head bolt torque question

Doing a headswap on a 6.0L using stock GM headbolts. Let me first start off by saying I am very meticulous about cleanliness. All bolt holes were chased multiple times until there was nothing coming out. A Papertowl was sent down every hole to absorb any coolant that might have gotten in there and all holes were blown out.

problem 1:
number 7 headbolt on the passenger side I could not get the full second 90 degree turn. So on that bolt it was torqued to 22, turned 90 and then turned about another 50. Think there will be any problems leaving this one in?

problem 2:
number 4 headbolt on the driverside torqued to 22, turned 90 and it was a little bit easier than the others, but then on the 2nd 90 degree it was consideraly easier than the others. I'm guessing this bolt is FUBARed and I need to change it out?

Also on a couple of the bolts when I was just running them in with my somewhat short 3/8" drive ratchet they would get hard to turn and then a slight "pop" and then they would continue going in as the others did. Is this just from the factory "loctite" they put on the bolts? Also the 2 bolts I am having problems with, neither of them had this condition where they popped going in.

Any comments/suggestions welcome
Old 05-26-2006, 09:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The pop is probably the loctite. I had a couple of bolts that went easier on the second 90, so I went a bit more. Just to see, I checked the torque of all the bolts when finished & all were in the 100ft-# area. The stretch is the most important factor, they were checked out of curiosity. Maybe check the ones that are good & compare the readings to the bolts in question. Don't know what to say about the bolt @ #4. If #7 is close in torque to the rest, I'd let it go. That's an opinion only, don't know if a problem will ocurr.
Old 09-23-2006, 07:03 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1-450
The pop is probably the loctite. I had a couple of bolts that went easier on the second 90, so I went a bit more. Just to see, I checked the torque of all the bolts when finished & all were in the 100ft-# area. The stretch is the most important factor, they were checked out of curiosity. Maybe check the ones that are good & compare the readings to the bolts in question. Don't know what to say about the bolt @ #4. If #7 is close in torque to the rest, I'd let it go. That's an opinion only, don't know if a problem will ocurr.
having the same problem