Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

noise coming from intake

Old 01-27-2003, 05:36 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default noise coming from intake

I bought my 99' Z used from a dealership. I test drove the car three times before I got it and never seemed to notice this noise. My engine is making this grinding or high pitched whining sound coming from the intake manifold area. I had a couple guys who claim to be mechanics take a look at it and they said it's definately not pistons or rockers but might be some kind of air (kind of like farting) or suction from something. It usually only happens at start up and lasts for about 30 seconds to a minute. Lately it seemes to be lasting longer. Any ideas? One more thing I know should probably go on another post. Does any of your cars have this electrical system "flickering" going on every couple of minutes? My Z seems to have this little power surge that you can notice when breaking or reving. Hope I'm making sense to some of you. If you like send me an email with a phone number and we'll talk noises.
Old 01-27-2003, 06:43 PM
TECH Regular

Default Re: noise coming from intake

Spray some carb cleaner near intake/head area. If the sound stops > its probably the gasket between the intake and the heads. Hope that helps.
Old 01-27-2003, 07:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Re: noise coming from intake

You can use a propane torch, not lit of course. If the RPMs go up then you have a leak somewhere. If you are talking about the lights flickering when the engine is cold, that is normal. It is the air pump running.

Search this Thread