LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Weight of Stock Hood?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 01:21 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Weight of Stock Hood?

Hope someone can help me out here. Did a search and didn't turn it up.

Need the weight of the OEM LT1 Camaro hood.

Don't need a "it feels like..." guess. Hopefully someone has actually weighed theirs.

I am considering going with a fiberglass hood, but not for looks... for weight savings. Someone told me a certain aftermarket hood weighed 14 pounds. I thought that was a little too light to believe... so I called the manufacturer: 33 pounds! Little different than 14 don't you think?

Shows you what a "it feels like" guess will get you. Hope someone here has a fairly precise number. I'm in a hold mode on the aftermarket hood until I get that data.

Thanks in advance,
Todd
Old 05-26-2006, 01:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have not weighed my hood but i did change my hood to a cowl induction fiberglass and ill tell u my new hood is so f***ing light compared to stock, 33lbs does not sound right for a fiber glass hood seems a lil high good luck though
Old 05-27-2006, 08:13 AM
Launching!

From what I understand, Pin On fiberglass hoods weigh around 15lbs, and bolt on Fiberglass hoods weigh ~30lbs.
Old 05-27-2006, 03:33 PM
TECH Resident

the stock hood off my v6 camaro was 45lbs without anything bolted to it(ie,hinges,pistons,latch) I weighed it yesterday when i took it off.. I dont know what my bolt on fiberglass hood weighs, It has'nt gotten here yet..

jay
Old 05-27-2006, 06:06 PM
On The Tree

too freaking heavy, get a pin on fiberglass hood and youll notice the difference, i noticed a difference with my bolt on glass hood i know that
Old 05-30-2006, 08:40 AM
TWS
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by WhiteSSP
From what I understand, Pin On fiberglass hoods weigh around 15lbs, and bolt on Fiberglass hoods weigh ~30lbs.

yeah, this is a bolt on, so 33 lbs is on target.
Old 05-30-2006, 08:43 AM
TWS
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by NRC-Motorsports
the stock hood off my v6 camaro was 45lbs without anything bolted to it(ie,hinges,pistons,latch) I weighed it yesterday when i took it off.. I dont know what my bolt on fiberglass hood weighs, It has'nt gotten here yet..

jay

Jay,

thanks for posting. That's what I was looking for: someone who actually weighed theirs.

93BlackZ, I'd rather not go with a pin-on, even though that's where the big weight savings are. I often go to the track alone and don't want to deal with a pin-on hood by myself. But, your suggestion is right on the mark... those are the lighter hoods. Thanks.

Todd

Quick Reply: Weight of Stock Hood?