LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Snapped header bolt help

Old 05-26-2006, 07:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snapped header bolt help

I bought a 1993 Z28 a few days ago with 83k on it and an exhaust leak. I figured no big deal ... just replace the manifold gasket and it's good to go. Today I started taking it apart ( passenger side ) and did what I could from the top starting with the front of the engine. Then I raised the car and continued to work. When I got to what should have been the 6th bolt I realized it's not there. The old gasket wasn't torn even, looks like the exhaust leak was because of that bolt missing. ( this is the last bolt closest to the tranny ) I try and screw in a new bolt and it won't go. It turns out the old bolt is still in there snapped off, so I need to get that out. I know I will probably have to remove the passenger manifold completely to have room to work, but is there anyway to get a drill in there and drill it out and ez out the bolt? Any other ways of removing this? Space seems very limited, but I don't want to pull the head for something this stupid. Any tools that may work well for this application?
Old 05-27-2006, 06:00 PM
On The Tree

since its snapped flush with the head you could drill it and put another bolt in there to get it out maybe use some WD40 while your at it to see if that helps any if it wasnt flush with the head id have a couple other suggestions but thats then only one i can think of at this point. hey while your at it if your not a member of speeddensity.org go ahead and join that too. it's designed just for us speeddensity non MAF owners if you ever plan on modding it or have any tuning or SES or DTC codes then that would be my first choice to go to, to fix it. www.speeddensity.org
Old 05-27-2006, 08:56 PM
On The Tree

In order to get it off it appears I need to actually remove the manifold from the car and then work at removing the bolt. Can I do an AIR delete while it's all apart or will I have a check engine light on or other driveability problems? Thanks.
Old 05-27-2006, 09:23 PM
11 Second Club

I actually have the EXACT same problem with my 94 and I havent fixed it because its on the drivers side rear and the stearing is directly in the way so there is really no room to fix it without taking the head completely off.
Old 05-27-2006, 09:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have a friend with LT1Edit or Tunercat they should be able to edit it out
Old 05-27-2006, 09:25 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NotACop97Z
If you have a friend with LT1Edit or Tunercat they should be able to edit it out
Ok cool. I guess I'll be pulling the manifold and hopefully extracting the bolt.
Old 05-27-2006, 10:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

try a left handed drill bit, sometimes they will take it rite out,make sure you center punch old bolt and drill it straight
Old 05-27-2006, 10:53 PM
TECH Addict

or if it's the last one just buy headers and not worry about it
Old 05-28-2006, 03:12 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by buffman
or if it's the last one just buy headers and not worry about it
What do you mean? Do the headers for some reason not use that bolt hole?
Old 05-28-2006, 04:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

headers use all the bolt holes except the outside 2 on both passenger and driver sides.. same thing happened to me so i just waited until i got headers to not worry about it
Old 05-28-2006, 07:17 PM
TECH Addict

same thing I did also. Except the last two on the driver's side broke off. So using headers I at least got one bolt on there and with Earl's pressure master gaskets, it's been leak free for over a year
Old 05-29-2006, 09:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heat up the bolt shaft then squirt a light oil on it every minute until cool. It will wick into the bolt bore and make extraction much easier. Don't heat it so much that the oil catches on fire... like red hot. Just enough so that water drops sizzle nicely on it.

Then use a Sears or equivalent bolt extractor. You'll need a carbide drill bit (at least - don't know how hard your factory bolts are) to drill the hole then thread the extractor in COUNTER clockwise until it grabs, then try to slowly put greater pressure on in, nice and straight, until it breaks loose and back it out. Use the proper size thread chaser to clean the threads.

I agree with Buffman about the Earl's Pressure Masters. They work great and the graphite inserts are available seperately - get an extra set when you buy the gasket set - surely you will need one when it's 2 in the morning sometime!

Jim
Old 06-03-2006, 01:59 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by buffman
with Earl's pressure master gaskets, it's been leak free for over a year
Where would one get these gaskets from?
Old 06-03-2006, 02:13 AM
11 Second Club

Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by coldkillinTA
headers use all the bolt holes except the outside 2 on both passenger and driver sides.. same thing happened to me so i just waited until i got headers to not worry about it
The Headers I had used them holes, 6 bolts per Header. I put a bolt in every hole that one came out of with the Manifolds.
Old 06-03-2006, 12:18 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 1fast97gsx
Where would one get these gaskets from?
Summit Racing

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Snapped header bolt help