View Full Version : look at this picture closely wtf?

98TADRIVER
05-27-2006, 03:30 PM
whats up with this LS1 am i seeing things? the pulleys are in the back?? im confused

http://bfdoffroadproducts.com/shop/shop_images/LS1,sm.JPG

are there mirrors in there or is that facing the wrong way??

WhiteKnightZ28
05-27-2006, 03:36 PM
To me it looks more like the intake is on backwards.

StoleIt
05-27-2006, 03:52 PM
intake is on backwards. probably mounted in a mid/rear engine setup. they do that alot on boats and kit cars, like the Ultima GTR

99camarosupersport
05-27-2006, 03:53 PM
To me it looks more like the intake is on backwards.
no because look at the oil refill cap it's in the front where its suppose to be. if the intake were on backwards it would be the top side on the left, there its on the bottom side on the right does that make sense?

BiggCmass
05-27-2006, 03:55 PM
Yeah I'd say its definetly a sand rail application..Its deifnetly mounted odd...I think the right side of the pictrue is the front end of the buggy, but I could be mistaken. Look how the headers face one way but the exhaust pipe exits opposite...wierd.

WhiteKnightZ28
05-27-2006, 04:03 PM
no because look at the oil refill cap it's in the front where its suppose to be. if the intake were on backwards it would be the top side on the left, there its on the bottom side on the right does that make sense?

Well the front and back of the block are completly different right? So it would be really damn hard to mount all the pullys on the "back" of the engine. But it wouldnt be that hard to turn the intake, valve covers, and maybe even the heads around.

camaroextra
05-27-2006, 05:05 PM

Yeah they just switched around the valve covers there

redbandit98
05-27-2006, 05:23 PM
guys it isnt hard, you know which way its facing. Think about it, the belts/access drive will always be the front of the engine. The belt has to get driven by the crank pulley, it cant go around the flywheel/flexplate :jest: .

NO-OPTION-2002
05-27-2006, 05:30 PM
Not much different than the LS4 in the FWD cars.

Pullies at the front (RH side), throttle body at the rear (LH side).

GM FWD V6's have been this way for years.

AronZ28
05-27-2006, 05:52 PM
Post some more pics of the car. I really can't get my head around what the car looks like or how its mounted.

flyin red TA
05-27-2006, 05:57 PM
Post some more pics of the car. I really can't get my head around what the car looks like or how its mounted.

I believe that the tires you see are the rears. The engine is rear mounted in some sort of sand rail set up. Look at the exhaust pipe at the top of the pic, they wouldn't be shooting the exhaust forward.

urbanhunter44
05-27-2006, 06:47 PM
Yeah looks like the intake is flipped. You can do that on an LS1.

Luna
05-27-2006, 07:58 PM
The oil dipstick tube is still on the correct side, so if you imagine your intake manifold on backwards and the valve coveres swapped. That is what you are seeing.

| Powered by Satan |
05-27-2006, 08:15 PM
that is a sand rail too... you can see the paddle tires :o

99camarosupersport
05-27-2006, 09:00 PM
Well the front and back of the block are completly different right? So it would be really damn hard to mount all the pullys on the "back" of the engine. But it wouldnt be that hard to turn the intake, valve covers, and maybe even the heads around.
yeah i couldn't quite figure out how in the hell the pulleys would be mounted on the back. but glancing at it i noticed the oil filler cap right away. never crossed my mind about the valve covers being swapped....stupid FRC's...

TheBlurLS1
05-28-2006, 04:25 AM
http://bfdoffroadproducts.com/shop/shop_images/SideViewCrop.JPG

Here it is again. They love the idea of lightweight+V8. I saw a rock crawling buggy today on Spike TV w/ an LS1, powerglide, and atlas transfer case. The guy said it was "a 2003 corvette motor with z06 cam, makes about 410hp". I was suprised he actually was truthful, I expected him to say 600hp or something. :jest:

FYI - You can right click on a picture, get the URL, chop it down untill you can view a bunch of pictures, then look through the gallery. You can also get the URL by hitting quote, then copy/pasting it. ;)

CAT3
05-28-2006, 04:37 AM
I watched the rock crawlers today too, fun sport, but expensive...shit I thought Drag racing for pleasure was $, those guys beat us in $ invested easily...

TheBlurLS1
05-28-2006, 04:27 PM
I watched the rock crawlers today too, fun sport, but expensive...shit I thought Drag racing for pleasure was $, those guys beat us in $ invested easily...

The rails like the ones pictured above are going for $55k+!!!!!!!

Car RamRod
05-28-2006, 07:06 PM
guys it isnt hard, you know which way its facing. Think about it, the belts/access drive will always be the front of the engine. The belt has to get driven by the crank pulley, it cant go around the flywheel/flexplate :jest: .
yea really. I dont see the confusion.

flyin red TA
05-28-2006, 07:10 PM
FYI - You can right click on a picture, get the URL, chop it down untill you can view a bunch of pictures, then look through the gallery. You can also get the URL by hitting quote, then copy/pasting it. ;)

Ah I didn't think to do that, I figured it was just an upload to imageshack or one of those other hosting sites and it would go nowhere.

cantdrv65
05-28-2006, 08:48 PM
Intake on backwards, valvecovers swapped sides.....