Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changinh hg's, gaskets looked good

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2006, 06:01 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changinh hg's, gaskets looked good

Well cylinder #3 was what was pushing coolant when the leak down test was done. I tore both heads off and the head gaskets looked good, there was one spot where it didnt look perfect but the ring around the cylinder and gasket matierial looked fine.
The car never overheated or got over 210*. When you 1st start the car it would smoke untill the motor warmed up. Once it warmed up the smoke cleared up and the car ran completely normal unless you hit wot. If you hit wot it wouldnt smoke from what i could see but you could smell coolant for a breif moment.
The driver side head had all ARP bolts that had been used twice now and the pass side upper/lower ARP bolts that had been used twice now and stock bolts in the middle which i have no idea how many times theyve been used. But the pass. side checked out ok so the bolts werent a problem that i know of.

I bought new 12 pt head studs and stock GM gaskets, im wondering if i would be safe putting it back together after i clean it all up. Or if it sounds like the heads need surfaced. I dont see how it ever got hot enough to warp the heads but i just bought the car and dont know every detail(like the stock head bolts). I want to get it back together and running now but not if it means the problem wont be solved. I dont have a straight edge to check it and noone will be at the shop untill tuesday. Are the stock gaskets pretty forgiving about sealing or like cometics you need absolute perfect surfaces?