LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Window Switches

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2006, 07:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window Switches

Welp, they are starting to get really bad and what exactly do I need to order from Pontiac and how much will I expect to pay?

Is installation a PITA or will I be better off letting someone else with more experience do it?
Old 05-28-2006, 10:51 PM
Staging Lane

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

They are dirt cheap, and easy to change. I changed all of the switches (lock and window switches in both doors), and it cost ~$25 CDN. It took 5 minutes to change them all. The little panels that they are in pop out, and you just swap out the switches.
Old 05-28-2006, 11:06 PM
Teching In

What do I tell Pontiac I want to order when I call?

Does the whole door panel have to come off?
Old 05-28-2006, 11:59 PM
In Need of Cup Holders!

What do you mean by switches? The little piece on the door handle arm that controls the windows? If thats what youre talking about, get a screw driver and pry it out of the arm. Undo the wires to take it off and then put the new one on. Easy as pie.
Old 05-29-2006, 12:47 AM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Yea, they are real simple. I did a friends in like 10 min. The motors take a little longer to replace. I had to switch an electric door to manual in my car, that takes a minute...
Old 05-29-2006, 08:51 AM
Teching In

Well, the windows are getting very very very slow. And I can never roll the driver side window all the way up. It just like dies on me about half way up and I have to sit there and wait for like 30 minutes and then it just goes up little by little with huge gaps inbetween every attempt.
Old 05-29-2006, 09:16 AM
11 Second Club

That sounds like the motors. That takes a while to do. When you get it apart, put some grease in the window rails. You will know what I mean when you see them.
Old 05-30-2006, 11:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When a window motor is going out, they get slow. It has nothing to do with the switches. get the motor from autozone. They are much cheaper than a dealer and it is the same part. They are a pain the first time you change one out, but after doing a few it gets easier.
If you attemp this yourself, your best bet is to have a mechanically inclined friend help you. When you purchase the motors, you will also need 4 bolts/nuts to fit where the rivets you drilled out went. After you pull the door panel off, you will see the rivets, and be able to judge what size bolts you need. They will not be any longer than an inch.
Old 05-31-2006, 12:40 AM
11 Second Club

That is why I love my Manual Windows...
Old 05-31-2006, 01:51 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Rare96WS6
When a window motor is going out, they get slow. It has nothing to do with the switches. get the motor from autozone. They are much cheaper than a dealer and it is the same part. They are a pain the first time you change one out, but after doing a few it gets easier.
If you attemp this yourself, your best bet is to have a mechanically inclined friend help you. When you purchase the motors, you will also need 4 bolts/nuts to fit where the rivets you drilled out went. After you pull the door panel off, you will see the rivets, and be able to judge what size bolts you need. They will not be any longer than an inch.
How much is a motor because I need to do this ASAP. My window is stuck down and won't come up at all and they are calling for rain VERY soon. Do I just stroll in Autozone and tell them I need the window motor for a '97 Trans Am?
Old 05-31-2006, 02:00 AM
9 Second Club

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

How can someone go to manual windows? Cuz this electric **** blows..
Old 05-31-2006, 03:34 AM
11 Second Club

Get the Manual setup from a car. Take your Electric setup all apart. Drill out the Rivets for the Electric Window System(Motor, Arm, all that junk), and remove it. Look close and you will see where the Manual Window holes are, there are 4 of them. Drill them, bolt in the Manual setup, and connect the Window to the Arm. Remove all the wiring that you don't need. Put a hole in the Door Panel so the Rollup Handle Rod can go through. I got it in the door I replaced, had no problems.
Old 05-31-2006, 12:30 PM
Teching In

I recently just replaced my drivers side window in my car. I bought the new window motor from Auto Zone and it costed me around 55 dolars, or right around there i dont rember the exact number. I found a great write up with step by step directions. Just click on how to's and its the first one on there (R&R the Power Window). Heres the link it should help. http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech1.html

Quick Reply: Window Switches