Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Car idles low at stop few questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2006, 11:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Car idles low at stop few questions UPDATED

When I was out Yesterday my cars idle would drop to 500 at a stop and almost stall out, its set to 950. It wouldnt come back no matter what so I had to keep feathering the gas. Now for the questions. My lights have been "flashing" for a while as in the headlamps, guage cluster and such. Not flashing on and off but you can tell somethings not right. I searched and found out it most likely the voltage regulator in the altenater so I am going to replace that. Could that be causing the car to idle low somehow? Also when it goes to 500RPMS the oil pressure drops, not to 0 or anything but it drops, is that normal? I already lost an engine to oil issue I'm not going to lose another one. The car seems to run fine when its movng the rpms wont drop until I am at a complete stop.
What are some other causes of this? I was going to get new plugs and wires because the car had a hesitation problem. The plugs and wires arent that old but I have heard about some Taylor wires giving out and they have been removed many a times.
Could it be something with the tune? It was retuned a few weeks back but it did give them a hard time. It ran good up until yesterday on that tune, the hesiation was lessened with that tune but now its worse than before and now has an idle issue.
I just wanted one F'ing summer where I had no problems .

Last edited by 9T9BlueTA; 06-04-2006 at 07:44 PM.
Old 05-29-2006, 06:51 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Make sure the Mass air meter wires are clean first.

Does the gauges make a full sweep after you start the car? If it does,the car needs a new battery.
Old 05-29-2006, 08:54 AM
TECH Resident

I cleaned the MAF wires and no luck...Its a brand new optima battery. I replaced it a month ago when the gauges started to sweep.....thats an intersesting experience when you dont expect it. Would disconnecting the MAF and seeing if it still idles low tell me if the MAF is failing?
Old 05-29-2006, 09:43 AM
TECH Resident

Ordered a new Altenater today. I am going to fix that problem first and see if the others go away before I do anything else.
Old 05-29-2006, 11:37 AM
Banned

Hey Jim,

Sent ya back a PM.
Old 05-29-2006, 12:46 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TTPMatt
Hey Jim,

Sent ya back a PM.
Thanks, I'll be in touch after I put the new altenater in next weekend.
Old 06-04-2006, 07:52 PM
TECH Resident

Well before I did the alternater I checked all the connections. Unhooked the battery made sure there wasnt any crap on the connection. Looked though the engine bay for any loose hoses or anything obvious. Just for the hell of it I hooked the battery back up and fired the car up. Idled fine, no pulsing lights. Took it for a drive and it was fine.
Thanks for your advise Slowhawk and thanks for getting back to me Matt.

Must of been a bad connection at the battery???? AH who cares cars runnig fine now.
Old 06-16-2006, 09:07 AM
TECH Resident

LOL, problem returned about 2 days later. Replaced Alternater and everything is fine.....again. Weird thing is the car idled good before but its seems better now for some reason.
Old 06-16-2006, 03:47 PM
Banned

This car is haunted. We have to wear the garlic necklaces when you come around Jim