General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Another A/C problem.

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2006, 01:02 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another A/C problem.

i've done some searching and the other threads are similar but not the exact problem that i am having. i'm prob gonna end up taking my 98 to a shop but between now and there may be a few things you guys could suggest to help me figure it out. here's my problem: about 3 weeks ago after getting my Aero Chamber put on i was letting a buddy of mine hear what it sounded like. so when i started her up there was a LOUD tapping noise comming from the passenger side engine compartment and i immediately killed it, afraid it was a valve or some other serious problem. after starting it a few more times we realized it was comming from my compressor. so i just left it alone and figured i would have to buy a new one later on. i would use it off and on and it would do the tapping every now and then but still be cool. about a week ago it just quit cooling all together. the clutch still engages but what i figured out today was that my fans aren't comming on when the A/C gets turned on. i was told that they have to be on in order for the liquid freon to be turned into gas and ran through the system (or vice versa can't remember which). also when i checked the freon level with my gauge after it had warmed up it was really high. i got out my book and found out that there are 3 fan relays. is it possible that one of them could be bad? and if so how would i go about finding the bad one/s with out replacing them all? any help would be appriciated. i would rather fix it myself but i haven't a clue about car A/C systems. i read in the book to take the switch in the low side line off and try and jump it to make the compresser come on but i still didn't and neither did the fans. i honestly don't know if my fans work after my cars been running for a while. now that i think about it about a week ago i was in a drive thru and my temp gauge looked really high to me but went back down later and i didn't think any more about it. my fans my have a problem. like i said any suggestions on what i could try would be greatly appriciated. later guys...zac
Old 05-29-2006, 02:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your fans should come on as soon as you turn the ac on. As freon is passed through the compressor it heats up as do all gases when they are compressed. Then it goes through the condenser (kinda like a radiator for the freon) in front of the radiator where it is cooled off by the fans and driving down the road. Then it is released inside the evaporator (another radiator looking part) and as the gas is uncompressed it turns cold and your blowermotor blows air across the cold evaporator and thats how you get cold air coming out of your vents. If the high pressure freon is not cooled your compressor wont come on. If the pressure gets too high there is a switch that turns it off. Find out where your relays are for your fans and use a jumper wire in them to see if the fans come on. Get a basic idea of how a relay works first if you dont know.
Old 05-30-2006, 03:57 PM
On The Tree

see that's what i thought but i don't have a lot of knoledge as far as relays. i can sometimes understand the diagram on the side but i can't on mine. there just simple four prong relays. i'll get a pic of the diagram on the side later on today and maybe you or someone else could tell me where i need to put the jump wire in. thanks for your reply.....zac
Old 05-31-2006, 03:55 PM
On The Tree

ok if someone could just tell me which prongs to jump i would appriciate it very much. or if you could tell me which ones to use a omm meter on to test if they are ok that would work as well. i have a meter but not sure which way to test a relay.

ok scratch most of that. i went up to advance today after work and got another relay. they didn't have the one instock that was the same exact one for the fans but the a/c one looks just like it same diagram on the side but it's a little thinner. i put it in the fan 1 slot and when i turn my A/C switch on the fans now come on and it's blowing cooler but still not as cool as it should be. when i check the freon with a gauge it's still in the yellow. am i just not letting it run long enough? i let it run for about 2 mins, which i was told i should do. if it's not enough freon in there would it show in the yellow on the gauge? thanks again.....zac

Last edited by Zacs98Z; 05-31-2006 at 06:31 PM.