Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

anyone run boost w/o 2 bar pcm upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2006, 11:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Default anyone run boost w/o 2 bar pcm upgrade?

I have the 2 bar sensor im just curious to see how people did it w/o upgrading the pcm. In HpTuners How did you do it? I dont need to see a post saying "just buy the upgrade". Im not asking if i should do that....my question was already stated.
thanks.
Old 05-29-2006, 01:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran on the stock 1 bar MAP and the MAF with my turbo for a few months. You just uses more PE to add extra fuel for the boost. It works ok, but you can more accurately fuel with 2bar, but it will run fine and safely with the factory 1 bar.
Old 05-29-2006, 01:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i am. shooting for 600rwhp. made 580 before the motor blew
Old 05-29-2006, 02:39 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You don't need 2 bar to run boost.There are a ton of cars we've done making 550-850rwhp with MAFs still working.
Old 05-29-2006, 03:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Aprox 700RWHP here with a 1 bar map and Maf.

Clint
Old 05-29-2006, 04:51 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As others have said, you can just add fuel with the PE table, but once you max out the MAF sensor it's basically running blind and is unsafe IMO.

A speed density tune will automatically correct for different boost levels, which can be changed on the fly.

If you're running a MAF tune and get a boost spike, you will get no additional fueling. Plus, you will need different programs to run different boost levels.
Old 05-29-2006, 05:08 PM
TECH Addict

So you use a 1 bar sensor as well? Or 2 bar sensor w/ pcm setup for 1 bar, SD tune and use PE to enrichen it? I heard somewhere if you use 2 bar sensor it splits the VE table in half so 0-50 would actually be 0-100 is this true?

thanks.
Old 05-29-2006, 06:08 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, I think I'm understanding your question now. From what I understand, people using the 2 bar sensor with the stock 1 bar operating system half the VE (and other) tables. The specifics I don't know, as I've always used the 2 and 3 bar operating systems which extends the VE table.
Old 05-29-2006, 06:16 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by INTMD8
Ok, I think I'm understanding your question now. From what I understand, people using the 2 bar sensor with the stock 1 bar operating system half the VE (and other) tables. The specifics I don't know, as I've always used the 2 and 3 bar operating systems which extends the VE table.

Yes thats what im looking for, I posted it in the tuning section, I'll see if anyone there replys. I know its not the "best" way to do it but untill I can get the upgrade this is what i'd like to do.
Old 05-29-2006, 08:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've run the stock PCM without modification with a supercharger and twin turbo setup.

Mark
Old 05-30-2006, 09:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by INTMD8
As others have said, you can just add fuel with the PE table, but once you max out the MAF sensor it's basically running blind and is unsafe IMO.

A speed density tune will automatically correct for different boost levels, which can be changed on the fly.

If you're running a MAF tune and get a boost spike, you will get no additional fueling. Plus, you will need different programs to run different boost levels.

I'm very pleased with my 3bar HPtuners setup, it is about 80% complete. Car is much more responsive.

I left the stock MAF in place because it meant I could leave the IAT sensor in place. The rest of the MAF is just hogged out!

Was tuned on the street and dyno, made 650/625 rear hp/tq on 12.75lbs of boost (dyno monitored boost). Fuel pressure fell off pretty bad though. I sure like how responsive the car is....open loop too.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:31 AM
kp
8 Second Club

You also have to disable the baro sensor updating since it wil be off with a 2 bar sensor and the fueling will go crazy after a few start ups. Every table that uses the MAP will have to be modified, not impossoble but kind of a pain. I did it years back and it worked but lack of baro updates and no IAT fueling and it really wasnt accurate in big weather changes but with a turbo its a safer route then just using the PE with a maxed MAF.

I am using the stock 1 BAR with a MAF, I keep the MAF for drivabilty and not having to mess around with the part throttle fueling when I swap pulleys. I can get away with it because with a belt driven supercharger there are no boost spikes or unexpected wastegate failures like a turbo. if anything fails the boost drops
Old 05-30-2006, 01:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As I understand it, all GM factory and most MAP sensors in general have an signal range of .5-5 volts. One a 1 bar map, ~5v is atmospheric pressure. On a 2 bar map, that same pressure reads in at ~ 2.5v and so on. So your resolution is /n with between 1 and 3 bars. To make this work on a stock unboosted PCM, you program with the knowledge that 50kpa becomes 100 (1 bar) and thus you rewrite your tables to the associated boost levels. I think HP has done this same thing in a more eloquent manner.

I could be wrong but I hope if was helpful and interesting and all that.....

Quick Reply: anyone run boost w/o 2 bar pcm upgrade?