Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

HELP!! LS7 Clutch Install Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2006, 02:30 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HELP!! LS7 Clutch Install Problem

The slave seems like it's too thick. Everything bolts up fine except the tranny to the bellhousing. It just won't get any closer than about 1/4" away from the bellhousing. Replaced the flywheel, friction disc, and pressure plate. Now when we slide it up to the bellhousing it stops. Holding the slave up to the teeth sans the transmission it looks like it won't compress far enough for the whole thing to stick together.

I bought the slave from MTI, did I get a pre 2001 slave? What's different between them?

Did I miss something else?
Old 05-30-2006, 12:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I dont think so... Youre using the vette ls2/ls7 flywheel? Youre sure its not an ls1 or GTO ls2 flywheel? Also sure its not the two dowels holding the tranny away from the bellhousing?
Old 05-30-2006, 09:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, I'd check your dowels we had the same problem with mine. We couldn't get it that last quarter inch and thought we had an clutch alignment issue. We ended up slowly tightening the bolts in a criss cross fashion and that pulled everything up tight. You could also try putting some lube or antiseize on the dowels. If you're laying in the driveway doing this it just gets tought to get enough leverage behind the tranny. Good luck.
Old 05-31-2006, 08:30 AM
Launching!

That's what it was. By looking where the dowels were scarring the bell housing, I could see that it wasn't lining up very well. I guess the bell housing expanded/contracted when off of the engine. I was able to get one dowel on and used the bolts to tighten the other in. I was on my back with my head to the car's nose.

Of course, after all that hassle, I go to correct the pinion angle with my jack so I could bolt the driveline and torque arm back up when the seals on my jack blow.

I go buy a new jack. Get it home and under the car and it won't jack up either. Turns out it was shipped with no hydraulic fluid in it.

So, after three days of wrenching, it seems God doesn't want me to finish. Perhaps He'll permit me tonight.