Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Airbags to make up for rear shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 12:06 AM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Airbags to make up for rear shocks?

Its my understanding that you normally the rear to be a little stiff to help drive the rear tires down into the pavement during launch. Obviously most go about this by getting a shock like the QA1 and dialing it up in the rear. If you didnt want to add a drag shock could you make up for using a regular shock without the adjustability by adding airbags to the rear springs and using that to dial in the rear?

I currently have Koni SA rear shocks and I'm trying to have the best of both worlds between street manners and drag results, so I'm thinking its either airbags in each spring with a few more pounds in the right rear or swapping over to Koni DA so I can adjust the compression stroke and plant the rear better than way. Trying to avoid swapping to a full drag shock as I've been there on QA1s before and I'd like to keep the street manners of the Konis much more than swapping back to a QA1 setup.
Old 05-30-2006, 09:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, that air bags are a good alternative over not having anything. If tuned right, they can perform very nicely.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:46 AM
12 Second Club

how street friedly are they?
Old 05-30-2006, 10:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hennytime
how street friedly are they?

the car rides normal, except over some really rough bumps, you sometimes get a light tap or clunk noise... but just the sound, you dont really feel anything back there.

if it really bugs you, you can always take 10mins to pull the bags out of the rear springs.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:57 AM
12 Second Club

is this a good spot to start modding the suspension, along with sfc and lca's?

Last edited by Hennytime; 05-30-2006 at 11:11 AM.
Old 05-30-2006, 08:01 PM

I thought deflated bags didnt effect right at all? Deflate them on the street or run very low psi and never know they are there, air them up for the track and dial the car in. Looks like this is the best way for me to get the results I want. Most people just run one airbag though, in the right rear. Anybody run two, one in each rear?
Old 05-30-2006, 08:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by josh99ta
I thought deflated bags didnt effect right at all? Deflate them on the street or run very low psi and never know they are there, air them up for the track and dial the car in. Looks like this is the best way for me to get the results I want. Most people just run one airbag though, in the right rear. Anybody run two, one in each rear?
Very good point, just deflate the air bags for street use. We used to run only one in Jens car, from my results the driver's side one was not needed ... only way I can think of that you would want to run one on each spring is if you deleted the rear sway bar.
Old 05-30-2006, 08:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

I am running one in the right rear between 10-20.. 10 meaning street and 20 and the track..
Old 05-30-2006, 09:27 PM

Well adjusting both rear shocks makes a difference in most cars, and since my Koni SAs are designed for drag racing I figure a little air on the left rear spring would help at the track for additional stiffness in the rear. Granted I'll be on a stock rear swaybar for now but might go to a drag bar in the future.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by josh99ta

i thought they didnt make any noise too...

then a couple of my friends got them, and i found out, they make a light clunk noise. lol.
Old 05-30-2006, 11:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I run them on both sides. It is a cheaper replacement for adjustable drag shocks. I will get shocks in the future, but this is working for now. Mine dont make any noise at all.
Old 05-31-2006, 12:40 AM
10 Second Club

2 of my buddies run the air bags in the right rear and have had good results at the track with them.. they don't make any noise on the street either..
Old 05-31-2006, 11:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Air bags assist the spring not the shock,when you add air in the right rear you should
add dampnening to control it. The spring rate in an air bag is progressive also not linear.Keep those issues in mind when tuning.