View Full Version : UPS driver

97PredatorTA
05-30-2006, 10:24 AM
A friend of my moms was telling her that UPS was in need of drivers and that they pay 20-26 dollars an hour. I don't know what kind of drivers he was talking about or really anything else about this, so I was wondering if you guys would know what he was talking about. I'm thinking he meant the guys that drive the brown square trucks that make the actual deliveries, because he said that I would need to be able to lift a 70 lb package.

So does anyonw here work for UPS and know what he was talking about and wethor or not this is worth looking into? I need a summer job and this pays more than constuction (which I've done all my life) and seems to be easier too. I'm 20, do you have to be 21? And do you need a CDL? He didn't give me too much info to go on, and thier website doesn't tell me much either.

LETZ RUN
05-30-2006, 10:39 AM
you dont need a CDL.. i know that much. I have a buddy who was a driver at FedEx and as far as I know he said its was pretty much the same just UPS trucks are sticks.

97PredatorTA
05-30-2006, 10:49 AM
Yeah he said I would need to know how to drive stick, but thats no problem. I prefer stick, automatics bore me now.

Do you know if they hire someone just for the summer?

97PredatorTA
05-30-2006, 11:32 AM
I've been finding some other threads about this, and saw that josh99ta got a job there. I'll have to shoot him a pm. If anyone else still has info on this, feel free to post. I still havn't found out if theres an age requirement or if they will hire for just the summer.

lt1formula2000
05-30-2006, 11:37 AM
you do know that to fit in as a UPS driver you have to be willing to rev that motor for all it's worth and rip/grind every gear when you leave every driveway,stoplight, and intersection.

DooberGN
05-30-2006, 04:35 PM
You have to be 21 at FedEx dont know about UPS. Also UPS is union so that is either a plus or minus for you. My friend works there and he can call off whenever he wants and they cant fire him for him it. He takes advantage of that one.

John Milner 810
05-30-2006, 09:19 PM
i work for ups, you have to be 21 to drive. and they usually promote from within. its like that at our hub anyway. they tell me its gonna be a few years (around 5) until i get to drive. i would have a hard time believing that they would hire someone just to come in and drive, because there are people waiting in line for those positions.

and 70 lbs..........HAHAHA. i unload/load trucks everyday, and i regularly pick up and load/unload 130+ lb boxes. its hard work. 80% of the drivers at our hub who have been driving for about 10 years or more have knee, back, ankle, etc braces on. it takes a toll on your body, thats for sure.

hope this helps. good luck.

josh99ta
05-30-2006, 09:42 PM
John hit it, and I replied to your PM as well. Not something you can just slip in to (hire from within, union job) and definitely not easy work (back and knee problems are a dime a dozen). Depending on your hub it could be anywhere from 3-10 years of senority before you can even consider getting into a truck to be a part time cover driver (what I am). In a way its good, in a way its bad. Sucks when you're low on senority though.

97PredatorTA
05-30-2006, 11:11 PM
Yeah its starting to sound like this guy doesn't really know what he was talking about. I knew it sounded to good to be true.

From what I understand, this friend of my moms said he could get me in as a driver working for $20-$26 an hour and they would be willing to hire me for just the summer. When I heard this I was like, holy shit, I better look into this. But its sounding more and more like this guy doesn't really know what hes talking about. Thanks for the info.