Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weather stations.?.?.?.?.?.?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 01:05 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weather stations.?.?.?.?.?.?

Ok, so after my downfall in the first round again this weekend I've decided it's time to do something. I don't plan on winning every event but I need to at least get out of the first round every now and then. My TT runs were like 12.82, 12.83, and 12.79 then first round I dial 12.76, but I went 12.69 on the brakes just cause the damn sun went down. I'm done guessing. I just want to know what everyone uses, and what kind of results you get out of it. And I can share the cost with my cousin if there is one that can store multiple vehicles. I've looked at the TAG handheld system cause it seems like a good one for $429, and then I see some are only like $100. I am thinking if I just get an excel file(I'm pretty good with excel) or something in my laptop to store DA's and runs on the computer do I need a $400 system that does all the calculations for me. Let's hear it.
Old 05-30-2006, 01:15 PM
7 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nate,

I just got a weather station last year from Kestrel (check out www.ambientweather.com, click products, then portable wind and weather instruments, then handheld wind meters) and pick up their 4000 series for $239. Once you learn what your car runs in certain air and wind conditions, you'll be able to pick your own dial.
I have friends that have Tags and they are nice if you plan to incorporate throttle stops and/or need the dialing predicter. I didn't and just keep a good logbook.
If you'd like to check one out before buying, I'll likely be at the track this weekend and you can try mine.

BTW, air did drop about 400 feet from last time run to 1st round.

Derek
Old 05-30-2006, 01:24 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah, congrats on the win bro. I knew it dropped but I didn't think the car was gonna go that much faster. I scrubbed almost 1.5 mph and still ran tenth under the quickest. Thanks for the link, I'll check it out. But I won't be around the next two weekends.
Old 05-30-2006, 03:48 PM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by NastyNate
Yeah, congrats on the win bro. I knew it dropped but I didn't think the car was gonna go that much faster. I scrubbed almost 1.5 mph and still ran tenth under the quickest. Thanks for the link, I'll check it out. But I won't be around the next two weekends.

i know this last weekend the track was **** and didnt start coming around till way after dark....

i need a thermo gun to log the track temps also..

i broke out by less than .001 on my last run just didnt let off enough... i just got a TAG this morning actually so ill see how i like it...

if nothing else always dial too slow... its easier to slow down than mysteriously go faster ; thats a whole different thread so i wont say anything else

back to the point- its always hard for me to account for track conditions :shrug: a weather station might not help you much:shrug:
Old 05-30-2006, 09:28 PM
7 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ty_ty13
if nothing else always dial too slow... its easier to slow down than mysteriously go faster ; thats a whole different thread so i wont say anything else

back to the point- its always hard for me to account for track conditions :shrug: a weather station might not help you much:shrug:
Dialing too slow in a 106 mph car against a 130+ mph car is not the best way to race, but what do I know? I ran the Formula for about 8 races and dialed her tight b/c I knew room wouldn't be as easy to judge as with a faster car.

For someone that is not an experienced pro with years of racing the same car under his belt, every bit of info helps IMHO.

Hell I've raced 14 years and just got a weather station. Did I absolutely need it? No, but more info gives you confidence when putting up the dial.

Nate, shoot me a pm when you are planning your next track date and I'll see if I'll be there so we can go over a few things.

Derek
Old 05-31-2006, 06:10 AM
10 Second Club

I've been using a TAG for a couple of years now and wouldn't go to the track without it..Once it learns your car the device can be very accurate..But again its only as good as the info you feed it ...
Old 05-31-2006, 09:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

www.crewchiefpro.com and he can answer all your questions about weather stations