General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Is the alternator my problem?? please confirm

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 03:12 PM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Default Is the alternator my problem?? please confirm

I rencently tried to start my car after it had been sitting all winter...dead battery, so I bought a new one and the car started up fine. I drove it around for awhile then parked it for about 2 days. I tried to start it yesterday and it would not fire, so I put the battery charger on that battery over night and it started today just fine. I was thinking I had an alternator problem, so I checked the voltage from the "-" battery teminal to the alternator and it was reading 14.8 at 2500 rpm. Battery voltage was 13.X or so, and I didn't see any pinches or frayed battery cables. I also disconnected the battery while the car was idling and it didn't cut out. I just drove the car about 20 miles, came home and disconnected the battery at idle once again, this time it cut out though. To recap, my alternator tested fine, then I drove the car around, disconnected the battery and the engine cut out. Does this mean my alternator is going bad, or could something else be the problem? Thanks in advance for you help.

Matt
Old 05-30-2006, 08:01 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like it could possibly be a bad battery that isn't holding a charge. I know it is a new battery but I have seen brand new batteries not hold a charge. Have a local auto store load test it.