Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

trouble with WOT TCC.

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 06:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trouble with WOT TCC.

I am using HPtuners and I asked this on there website but I thought I would ask this here since LS1tech seems to be a better source for information. I have a 99 C5 and I am trying to lock the TCC at WOT. I set the 2nd gear lock at 40 mph accross the board and the release at 30 also across the board (regardless of tps). It will now lock at 40 at part throttle (say at 60% tps) but will not lock at WOT. I can force the TCC to lock with the scan tool and it has no touble locking even at WOT so I know the clutch utself is strong enough. When looking at the scan tool under the TCC mode it will either say "-3" or "off" when I am at WOT. The convertor locks just fine any time other then WOT. Any ideas? is this something to do with a C5? I have the release TPS tables set to 100% and was told it would have to excede 100% to release...is that true? I was really wanting to try locking up the convertor to see if i could pick a few hundreths up at the strip.
Thanks,
Charles
Old 05-31-2006, 11:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by trophystock
I have the release TPS tables set to 100% and was told it would have to excede 100% to release...is that true?
No, the code doesn't allow locking at WOT. They are all like that unfortunately. You may want to consider over-riding the code and use an RPM switch to handle the locking at WOT.
Old 05-31-2006, 04:45 PM
Staging Lane

So no matter what i do I will never be able to get the computer to lock the conv. at WOT? Is there a way to fool the computer into thinking I only have 99% TPS?
Old 06-01-2006, 09:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

It would have to be a bit lower than 99% so the PCM would not know that you are full power mode. I think it could be possible to fool it, but would be a huge PITA getting everything else to work correctly with your new WOT setting. It would also be a PITA to get your TPS to cooperate with its new output range. I'd bet $ you'd be happier doing it the manual way.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:40 AM
14 Second Truck Club

The weird thing is that my Silverado would lock at WOT as soon as it would hit 3rd and had to turn that off. Is yours locking in 3rd and just not second?
Old 06-01-2006, 09:47 AM
Staging Lane

not locking in second or third.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:57 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is not the code, it is possibly the transmission. It is not a good idea to try and lock the TCC in 2nd, as the stock TCC lining will not take the abuse. Actually the stock lining will not take the abuse of locking it at WOT for prolonged periods (racing). If you have an aftermarket converter with a beefier TCC made for locking at WOT, you can enable it ... if your trans can supply the fluid pressure. What are the specs of you vehicle? What kind of TC? What kind of Trans (stock, shift kit, or built?). I have tried to find out what --3-- represents, and have yet to get a straight answer. I beleive it is when the ECM is attempting to enable the TCC.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:04 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I set it up to lock at WOT once at the track, with my old
converter; it tried but made a hoot-owl noise and didn't
seem to be able to hold. There may well be OS versions
that suppress WOT lock, there are certainly enough other
model-model, year-year.

--3-- is "enabled" but "not locked". If things are normal you
would just see this as a blip on your way to "locked" unless
something is holding it off (misfires are all I've seen do this).
Unfortunately these values, text, don't plot or export clean
so you can't get a good look at the normal and abnormal
sequences of events.

The pushbutton is sounding like a better and better idea.
Maybe one of those Advance Auto Parts "horn buttons"
on the floorboard where the high-beam switch ought to
be. Then you can lock it whenever the hell you want.
At least until you run out of clutch lining....
Old 06-01-2006, 10:08 AM
Staging Lane

It is a Yank convertor and stock tranny. I can lock it manually at WOT with the VCM controls and she seems to hold just fine and in fact it will lock very quickly telling me the clutch has no problem handling my 400HP. When I look at my scanner when I go to WOT the TTC mode will show "off" as the computer is not even trying to lock it.