Sponsored by:

Battery Relocation - Alternator Kill

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 02:33 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Battery Relocation - Alternator Kill

Guys,

Just a quick question. I got the battery relocation done and everything works. I basically installed a junction box where the original battery was that joins:

(a) Starter positive
(b) Alt postive
(c) Alt negative
(d) power cable to back (kill switch)

The kill switch works great when the car is off, but since the ALTs are always hot (ground + hot) if the car is running the kill switch does not work.

I think I can just remove the alt negative cable from the junction box and ground it to the chassis to enable the kill switch to kill a running engine. Anyone ever do this? Will this work?

Thanks
Old 05-31-2006, 05:15 PM
11 Second Club

Do you have a postive cable coming from the alt to the battery side of the kill switch? If not your alt is still hot. Once you connect it to the pos side of the kill switch (same side that the pos cable from the battery connects to the switch). I have a diagram that shows the wiring. You also have to cut the hot wire that goes from the junction box to the alt. -Mark
Old 05-31-2006, 08:46 PM
11 Second Club

Bitemark46, I looked at your site for the wiring diagram and did not find it, where can I get it?
Thanks
Old 05-31-2006, 10:47 PM
10 Second Club

I could use that too, i rechecked the wiring and basically i have the junction with 2 positives and 1 negative going into it:

One red is going to the starter
One red goes to the fuse box
the black goes to the alternator

the blue one goes back to the kill switch.

Here is a schematic for those electrically inclined.

and how i have mine wired:

Basically i want to avoid bringing another cable back to the back of the car. Is there any way to use the ALT cable (pointed at above) and ground it somewhere on the chassis and accomplish the same thing?
Old 06-03-2006, 12:01 PM
11 Second Club

Here is the diagram. This way the alt gets no power so the car won't keep running if you flip the kill switch. -Mark
Attached Thumbnails Battery Relocation - Alternator Kill-batt-relo.jpg  
Old 06-05-2006, 02:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That black wire is probably not a ground, but the output of the alternator. I would definitely not ground it. Some people use the output of an alternator as a home-made welder....

When the switch is closed, it's charging your battery.

You need a switch that will disconnect the hotwire from the battery, and break the connection from the alternator at the same time.

Or just connect the alternator between the battery and the switch. Then when you flip the switch, the engine can't see power from either one of them.
Old 06-05-2006, 05:34 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by White2000TA
Guys,

Just a quick question. I got the battery relocation done and everything works. I basically installed a junction box where the original battery was that joins:

(a) Starter positive
(b) Alt postive
(c) Alt negative
(d) power cable to back (kill switch)

The kill switch works great when the car is off, but since the ALTs are always hot (ground + hot) if the car is running the kill switch does not work.

I think I can just remove the alt negative cable from the junction box and ground it to the chassis to enable the kill switch to kill a running engine. Anyone ever do this? Will this work?

Thanks
this is very simple esp. on the new cars as they are 1 wire alt, just run the wire from the alt post to the positive side of battery,[right now it either runs to starter lug or relay]thats it yes it is juiced but when you hit the switch it kills batt and alt juice to front of car,its real simple, hope this helps, bob

Quick Reply: Battery Relocation - Alternator Kill