Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MTI Stealth II Cam & Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 10:55 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default MTI Stealth II Cam & Tuning

OK, I'm trying to get some information regarding a cam choice. I've research and used the search button often and I'm getting more and more confused.

I like everything about the MTI Stealth II cam, except the price to do everything. I just don't feel like spending over $1,000.00 to do a cam (cam, springs, retainers, pushrods, and tuning).

I have a 2001 WS6 Trans Am, 6-speed. I had a 2000, but it was stolen. It seems that the cam in the '01 is not as strong as the '00. It may be insignificant, but the car is definitely slower. So, I want to change the cam. I have thought hard about getting a used Z06 cam, but I keep reading that it's just not worth doing.

So, my question is: Can you install the Stealth II cam without having it tuned? How badly will it run? Is the Z06 cam still a good choice for the street?

Basically, I'm looking for a low 12 second/high 11 second car with stock street manners. Is this possible? I don't want a car the has a noticeable cam overlap sound, stalling, and the smell of unburnt fuel. I don't need a race car.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Brian
Old 06-01-2006, 11:41 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was considering this cam for sometime as well. Decided on a custom 224/228 though. Overall don't let yourself skimp on the supporting valvetrain or the tuning. Tuning I beleive is most important to get the most out of your mods, expecially any internal modifications.

Most people are in the mid to low 12's with this cam from my research. Correct me if I am wrong...
Old 06-01-2006, 11:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

If you want the max performance out of your mods, get it tuned. If you don't have CATs, it will stink.

A base mail order tune will be much better than your stock tune for sure.

Bill
Old 06-01-2006, 12:03 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 12ohhhhLS1
check out thunder racings cheatr cam ....it may be of some interest to you
Thanks! I will!
Old 06-01-2006, 12:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IF you have the tuning essentials already (higher shift potential, etc.), then you can always try it. You're still talking about a small cam. Don't forget that a dyno tune will even help a bone stock car. You can always spring for the tune after the fact if you feel it is necessary- i.e. poor idle or poor performance.

FWIW, my 221/221 114 will be installed with my current 'basic' tune. It's a base tune that adds additional spark, less fuel, 6600 rev limiter, no emmissions, etc. This is going in my 105K mile M6 1998. My car had a special sensor to measure how much additional air will be coming in from the improved valve events at higher RPM so it can correct for fuel delivery. It's called a mass air flow sensor, and we all have one. I say go for it, especially if you go with an LS6 camshaft.

Ben T.
Old 06-01-2006, 02:20 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Studytime
IF you have the tuning essentials already (higher shift potential, etc.), then you can always try it. You're still talking about a small cam. Don't forget that a dyno tune will even help a bone stock car. You can always spring for the tune after the fact if you feel it is necessary- i.e. poor idle or poor performance.

FWIW, my 221/221 114 will be installed with my current 'basic' tune. It's a base tune that adds additional spark, less fuel, 6600 rev limiter, no emmissions, etc. This is going in my 105K mile M6 1998. My car had a special sensor to measure how much additional air will be coming in from the improved valve events at higher RPM so it can correct for fuel delivery. It's called a mass air flow sensor, and we all have one. I say go for it, especially if you go with an LS6 camshaft.

Ben T.
Well, the LS6 cam is a no-brainer. I can do that for around $300.00 total (I already have the push-rods, unless I need a different length).

The main question is the use of the Stealth II. I just need to hear from people that have used this cam and how happy they are with it's stock manners but also the performance aspect. Thanks!!
Old 06-02-2006, 05:19 PM
12 Second Club

So, since this cam is only on a 116LSA, should it idle ok without the tune? I'm just trying to save some money initially. Plus, I will still need headers. I'd rather tune it after the headers are in. What do you all think? Or am I just being cheap!!

Brian
Old 06-02-2006, 11:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

If you put ANY cam in there, you need to tune otherwise why bother?
Tuning is part of cam swap like the cam is.
I've had the Stealth II in multiple combinations.
IMO, that cam was good but too high an LSA for stock compression.
The same cam but on a 113+0 LSA would perform better all around.
But if refined with appropriate SCR/DCR, this cam is capable of low 11s at 120>122mph
Very flat power curve able to carry till 6800.

Last edited by PREDATOR-Z; 06-03-2006 at 02:55 AM.
Old 06-03-2006, 01:04 AM
TECH Resident

Can you install it without tune?..yes. But why? your actually wasting money; your not saving by skipping the tune because you installed a cam that is not being fully utilized to its potential.

its like paying for a 3 piece suit and your only wearing the jacket.

At least do a mail order tune like PCMforLess.com