Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!! loud ticking at WOT and a little smoke comming out of oil dip stick are!!HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 10:59 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!! loud ticking at WOT and a little smoke comming out of oil dip stick are!!HELP!

Ok, so i was commin home from school with the windows down, and when i layed on it in 1st or second, i hear a really loud ticking noise!! so when i get home i go to check my oil, and pull the dip stick out and there is smoke comming off of the dip stick and comming out of the dip stick hole! ahhh what is wrong?!?!?!
Old 06-01-2006, 11:35 AM
TECH Resident

The ticking could be your pushrods.
Old 06-01-2006, 11:40 AM
TECH Regular

That was probably just steam coming off the dipstick and out of the tube. Remember, your oil can reach tempuratures above 200*F and that is a good thing because you want any moisture in the crankcase to burn off. If you are worried about it just do a compression and leakdown test to verify ring seal and check for blow-by.

Now for the ticking. You need to be more specific. Can you hear when the car is idling? Is it coming from the top, bottom, front or back of the motor?
Old 06-01-2006, 11:44 AM
Staging Lane

you can only really notice it at a cold start at idle, but when its warm you can still hear, its just not as loud....it almost sounds like its on the sides of the motor towards the front.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:36 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Cooper01Z28
you can only really notice it at a cold start at idle, but when its warm you can still hear, its just not as loud....it almost sounds like its on the sides of the motor towards the front.
that sounds like a bearing

i had one let go in my first motor

get under the car and listen around

under mean rod or bearing
top means lifter, pushrod, spring

also keep an eye on your oil pressure

Quick Reply: HELP!! loud ticking at WOT and a little smoke comming out of oil dip stick are!!HELP!