Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCV sucking oil

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 10:20 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default PCV sucking oil

I suffer oil consumption as well, my PCV was in the lifter valley, it has now (with carb swap, pics attatched) been re-located to the valve cover,

could this have caused my 1qt per 1500 mile consumption or is that just sick high?

PS, oil use was NOT influenced by oil weight and my compression numbers were 5% +- or better as well as I have no smoke WOT or cold start.

Any help from the GM clan?
Attached Thumbnails PCV sucking oil-carbx.jpg  

Last edited by Stanger88; 06-01-2006 at 11:09 PM.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I had a 98' LS1 engine in my truck, I had to use the 98' valve cover and pcv setup. Which basically consists of your same setup. A vacuum line from the intake manifold to the valve cover.
I was using anywhere between 1 1/2 to 3 qts every 3-5K miles.

I literally poured oil out of my intake manifold when doing a engine swap this weekend.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:39 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Zick
I literally poured oil out of my intake manifold.
Same here... I had oil sitting on the back side of my closed intake valves as well... I think I'm just gonna go to a breather setup and ditch the PCV.
Old 06-02-2006, 12:16 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by GTA91
Same here... I had oil sitting on the back side of my closed intake valves as well... I think I'm just gonna go to a breather setup and ditch the PCV.
I did the breather setup but it made a horrible high pitch sound. Probably due to the cheap autozone breather I bought. Well I ditched that and went a different route.
I just setup my pcv system like my buddy did on his truck. Bought a remote trans filter setup and plumbed it in between the valve cover and intake. That way any oil that does get pulled throught will be stay in the filter and not get into the intake.
My buddy has it on his truck for quite a while now and the intake side is bone dry.
Old 06-02-2006, 09:46 PM
Banned

I had my PCV in the intake originally, I know, stupid, but it was behind a baffle in the lifter valley. I was driven crazy by this oil usage, still am. I am hoping it is fixed b/c I dont have blowby. (I pulled out the PCV and held my hand over the open oil-filler neck and felt hardly ANY air (it felt like just hot air rising, no pressure or anything) and so i know its not rings. I dunno, I think PCV b/c i would put a thimble of "crap" in my home-made catch can every trip I took (10-20 miles).
Old 06-02-2006, 11:08 PM
Banned

i usethe LS6 conversion but found oil on my map sensor. so i wanted to see if the oil was causing my poor readings. so i went to wallmart and bought a little air filter setup that goes on your air compressor. its by campell hourse or crap like that. then got 2 1/4 barb fittings and some pipe dope. put it together and put it inline with my PCV. its before the PCV and after 500 miles i seen a good bit of oil in there. probably a pop cap full and i just dumped it back into the motor. now truck seems to run better actually.
i have 15bucks into the setup i have minus the LS6 conversion
Old 06-02-2006, 11:19 PM
Banned

^I had a similar setup, PS, dump that OUT of the motor, it contains gas and condensation and a ton of other pure crap. Dont put it in the oil
Old 06-02-2006, 11:21 PM
Banned

how could it have fuel in it? its coming from the valley pan of the motor?
Old 06-02-2006, 11:23 PM
Banned

It was sucked by the PCV, correct? there is always SOME blowby and SOME!!! vapor from the fuel in it, if you smell that crap it will have a decidedly fuel-like odor (I sniffed it once to see, yes, im "that guy" who would do something like that out of curiosity).

Quick Reply: PCV sucking oil