Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Common T-56 Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2006, 01:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Common T-56 Problems?

what are the most common t-56 problems? serious or minor it doesnt matter. i need sum info on the t-56. how about sounds comin from the tranny that could lead to problems? my tranny is makin sum low noise like sumthin is loose...any help
Old 06-03-2006, 02:07 PM
On The Tree

Most common problems:

1. Bent 3/4 shift fork which screws up the cheaply made 3/4 stamped steel key synchronizer.
2. Leaking tranny that has been run extensively with low fluid can damage bearings causing whine.
3. Stuck in gear (as a result of #1).
4. Not directly a tranny problem, but the clutch hydraulics are sometimes defective making it difficult or impossible to get into gear.

These are the most common probs with factory T-56 Fbody trannies. At least that I have seen.
Old 06-03-2006, 02:08 PM
On The Tree

Hydraulics, somotimes popping out of gear.
Old 06-03-2006, 06:43 PM
On The Tree

i got a polyurathane (dont kno if thats spelled right) trans mount. its stiff as ****, keeps the tranny stiff and keeps it from bouncing around. do u think that becuz of the stiffness causing more vibrations....that it would cause damage? the output shaft that attatches to the driveshaft has sum play. theres sum noise in the tranny when sittin still in nuetral, when i push in the clutch the noise goes away. also when in gear it makes noise, likes sumthings loose and grinding. only 46k miles, and juss started happenin...recently after the trans mount was installed. any idea whats goin on?
Old 06-03-2006, 06:44 PM
On The Tree

theres also a whine coming from the output shaft area, right under neath the shifter.
Old 06-04-2006, 03:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine has popped out of gear 3 times since owning it. On each occasion it was all the way in gear and popped out under moderate accelleration.

Several times I have had the clutch all the way down to the floor and went into 1st while stopped. The gear would grind and I would look like a REAL IDIOT in public.
Old 06-04-2006, 05:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ZoFastSS
......... sometimes popping out of gear.
Yup... common problem.

From the plastic fork pads either braking (from beating on it by shifting hard) or just normal wear (which is caused by leaving your hand on the shifter and loading the fork into the slider groove.)
Old 06-04-2006, 07:06 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
Mine has popped out of gear 3 times since owning it. On each occasion it was all the way in gear and popped out under moderate accelleration.

Several times I have had the clutch all the way down to the floor and went into 1st while stopped. The gear would grind and I would look like a REAL IDIOT in public.
Sometimes (rarely) my car does that when I just start it (warm or cold) and I push it into 3rd gear before I put it in reverse......just a real quick grind on the way in. I do this because it seems to go into reverse easier.
Old 06-04-2006, 11:20 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by robsmith9798
i got a polyurathane (dont kno if thats spelled right) trans mount. its stiff as ****, keeps the tranny stiff and keeps it from bouncing around. do u think that becuz of the stiffness causing more vibrations....that it would cause damage? the output shaft that attatches to the driveshaft has sum play. theres sum noise in the tranny when sittin still in nuetral, when i push in the clutch the noise goes away. also when in gear it makes noise, likes sumthings loose and grinding. only 46k miles, and juss started happenin...recently after the trans mount was installed. any idea whats goin on?

Yeah, I ended up taking my poly tranny mount back and ditching it (car made tons of shaking/noise with it installed and torqued north to south of spec) As far as the noise when car is in neutral, mine does that too, but I didnt notice that till I got my short throw.
Old 06-05-2006, 03:37 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by whitedevil
Yeah, I ended up taking my poly tranny mount back and ditching it (car made tons of shaking/noise with it installed and torqued north to south of spec) As far as the noise when car is in neutral, mine does that too, but I didnt notice that till I got my short throw.
do u think i should have the poly(hyperflex) trannymount removed and put a new OEM factory mount back in? u think it will eventually cause damage or will i be fine?
Old 06-05-2006, 03:54 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed

my old one did that to me (1998) if you pump the clutch it will stop, that includes "R", just pump the clutch like 3 times then put in gear, will not pop, and will not grind.
Old 06-05-2006, 04:01 PM
TECH Resident

Reverse is weird for me, has been doing it since I got the car... sometimes less, last week seemed more common. I think its a bent shift fork... I will put it all the way into Reverse (at least all the way it goes, pushing it pretty hard), if I dont keep my hand there and let off the clutch softly sometimes it will pop out and grind, so I have to either clutch in again and push it in farther or pull it back out. A trick is to keep pressure on it while letting the clutch out, this way you will feel it pop in a little further. After my Pro 5.0 my tranny keeps somewhat more noise, especially when letting off the throttle... Guess thats normal though.
Old 06-05-2006, 04:49 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Charging TA
Reverse is weird for me, has been doing it since I got the car... sometimes less, last week seemed more common. I think its a bent shift fork... I will put it all the way into Reverse (at least all the way it goes, pushing it pretty hard), if I dont keep my hand there and let off the clutch softly sometimes it will pop out and grind, so I have to either clutch in again and push it in farther or pull it back out. A trick is to keep pressure on it while letting the clutch out, this way you will feel it pop in a little further. After my Pro 5.0 my tranny keeps somewhat more noise, especially when letting off the throttle... Guess thats normal though.
I have the EXACT same issue. I just deal with it.
Old 06-05-2006, 05:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would replace the slave cylinder or both master and slave together, it is the part that exhibits the most wear(naturally) and it influences and causes the grinding into gears problem, when this problem is not adressed then you continue to wear the blocker rings and or synchronizer on the actual gearing then leading to a whole new gear as the cure. I'm ripping my first one apart in about 2 minutes, and I suspect my problems were not addressing the hydraulics, so don't kick her, kick yourselves. Its a fairly cheap part but out of lazyness I kept putting it off.

But becuz of its incredible strength I wouldnt be surprised to see my reverse and 5th gear in perfect shape and only need to replace the blocker rings. BBL.
Old 06-05-2006, 08:48 PM
On The Tree

Default t-56 problem

i just got my t-56 back from a performance shop. i had a steel fork put in-and a 3-4 synchro assemb. i got it back and have just been driving it easy to let everything wear in ok. but ever since i got it back it has a hard time staying in 2nd gear. if im over 3,000 rpms in first then it will go into second no problem- but anything lower( like in traffic) it grinds a little and pops out. it didnt have this problem before i took it into the shop.. im taking it back tomorrow to have it looked at... but im curious to what my problem could be
Old 06-05-2006, 10:17 PM
Teching In

i've had a pro 5.0 installed for almost a year now and just today it started to pop out of third every now and then...i'm not even on the throttle hard or anything...not sure exactly whats going on...gonna take it apart tomorrow and check it out...hope it's nothing major...any ideas guys?
Old 06-06-2006, 06:38 PM
TECH Resident

my t56 is in for its fourth rebuild in 6 years. dealer screwed up the first one like ametuers so a weak later it had to be rebuild again(dealer wouldnt warrenty it because of "abuse" but when it was disassembled parts were installed backwards).

most common two problems are 3/4 shift fork is weak but their is a steal replacement for it and the dogs (dont remember the proper name)go bad and that will cause the shifter to shoot outa gear and into neutral or get stuck in gear but now their are replacements made from billet. synchros on the fbody version are a bit on the weak side too.
recently i heard from a reputable builder that the viper t56 fluid is the prefered fluid to use.
Old 06-07-2006, 11:17 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SiC-LS1
and just today it started to pop out of third every now and then...i'm not even on the throttle hard or anything...not sure exactly whats going on...gonna take it apart tomorrow and check it out...hope it's nothing major...any ideas guys?
If you have ever missed 3rd gear, chances are the 3/4 shift fork is bent and causing it to jump out of 3rd gear or get stuck in 4th gear...it is major...you will need the steel 3/4 shift fork and replace the 3/4 shift hub and syncros as well.
Old 06-23-2006, 07:54 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by HAWKNYU
If you have ever missed 3rd gear, chances are the 3/4 shift fork is bent and causing it to jump out of 3rd gear or get stuck in 4th gear...it is major...you will need the steel 3/4 shift fork and replace the 3/4 shift hub and syncros as well.
Any idea of what it will cost to have a local ship do this? *Including* tranny R&R?
Old 06-23-2006, 07:58 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by glhs422
Any idea of what it will cost to have a local ship do this? *Including* tranny R&R?
Not really, since I work at a dealer mine was done while under warranty but I bought the parts.

I'm told it could cost upwards of $1500.00 or so.

Quick Reply: Common T-56 Problems?