Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Ran a cammed Z...

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2006, 02:03 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ran a cammed Z...

I went to a new hangout spot last night and got the chance to run a strong LS1. People wanted to see a race and I said I was interested, hoping to get a run with a Cobra. They put me with a Z28 that sounded pretty healthy. I had seen it at a shop recently and saw his tubular k member and full exhaust so I knew it must be pretty mean.

We went to the end of the industrial road and a truck pulled in behind us to give the honks. My bottle pressure was just under 900 psi but I didn't feel like having people wait for me to heat it up. He heated up his tires and I spun mine over to get the dirt off. I figured he would take me off the line since he had a stalled auto and then I would chase him down.

We leave and he has .5-1 car on me through first and the beginning of second. Towards the top of second I hit the gas but something didn't seem right. My car felt like it was being choked and stumbling. It would have power in spurts. I at first thought it was just due to not clearing out the lines good enough but it kept happening. We stayed pretty close until I swapped to forth and my car pulled pretty good on him. Driving back I figured I must of ran out of nitrous but suddenly realized I never swapped my tune to nitrous. I was in shock my motor didn't blow but it must of been due to the low bottle pressure and the fact my na tune isn't too aggressive. Either way, it didn't like it.

Afterwards he told me it was a stalled, cam car with the bolt on goodies and some suspension work running 11.7 and making 413rwhp. It was an interesting run and he was pretty cool. I'll be pulling my plugs later today to check out the damage.
Old 06-04-2006, 03:54 PM
Launching!

Is it even possible to have a Cam only Stalled A4 put down 413? Anyways good to hear nothing happen to your motor.
Old 06-04-2006, 09:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TV559
Is it even possible to have a Cam only Stalled A4 put down 413?
with a locked converter and a big cam, yes.

but only 11.7 with that much hp seems a little fishy. perhaps he couldn't hook or something, i dunno.
Old 06-04-2006, 09:49 PM
TECH Regular

I'm not sure if he was on radials or drag radials with those times. He pointed at his tires and said "running on these" and I didn't look too closely at them.

*I'll be out of town all week so I won't be responding till friday.
Old 06-04-2006, 09:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by s346k
with a locked converter and a big cam, yes.

but only 11.7 with that much hp seems a little fishy. perhaps he couldn't hook or something, i dunno.
Could be where he ran. I was talking to a guy with a slightly modded T/A and he said he ran a 13.5. He also said a H/C and supercharged SS only ran a 12.5 and a supercharged Mach 1 putting down close to 450 hp and 3.73 ran low 12's when I have heard both these cars are in the 11's. The air was real shitty that night though or maybe the guy was just feeding me full of **** since he wants me to run the mach 1. This was in southeast NM.