Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Common issues after head install

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 07:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Common issues after head install

What are some common issues you guys run into after a head install? Of course, other than the obvious things like more speeding tickets

I have an SES light coming off and on and I'm wondering why. I'll get it scanned and tuned shortly, but I'm just curious. The engine is shaking a tiney bit more and it'll sometimes make a click noise when it shakes. Any ideas?

Thanks
Old 06-05-2006, 08:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

cant say... you need a scan. Autozone will scan for free.
Old 06-05-2006, 05:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

stupid question but you got all your sensors pluged in right...and didnt break anything when putting stuff back on
Old 06-05-2006, 06:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well I just got it scanned and it's P0300 which is Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire. So I guess I just need a good tune. Anyone else get this on a head install?
Old 06-05-2006, 07:01 PM
On The Tree

Make sure your coil packs are plugged in good. Also check the passenger side rear plug wire. That was the hardest to put on. I had similar issues but I caught the problem a soon as I checked the wires. It is possible that the car can run with one of your coil packs still unplugged. Runs really rough though.
Old 06-05-2006, 08:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Having same problem now after head install except my misfires= no lockup On the brighter side of things....how do you like your new Patriots? It was your post with pics that actually persuaded me to get them for my car. Are you the car that Thunder Racing was having PTV clearance with??? just noticed the TR224....Paul mentioned he had a TA with that problem.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

did you put in new plugs? either way check all your plug wires...check coil packs...
did you take the fuel rail off the car? either way check to see if all injectors are pushed in as needed. make sure the fuel line quick disconnect isnt leaking after putting the intake back on....
make sure your headers didnt burn threw a spark plug wire....
thats all i can think about for now... i will have a start up on my setup this week...hopefully all goes well....
good luck
Old 06-05-2006, 11:27 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if the plug wires arent loose it could also be the cam bc I also had the misfire code and i was told bc of the cam is somewhat big will throw a misfire code when actually it isnt misfiring
hope it made sense kinda late
Old 06-06-2006, 12:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by kazfan30
Having same problem now after head install except my misfires= no lockup On the brighter side of things....how do you like your new Patriots? It was your post with pics that actually persuaded me to get them for my car. Are you the car that Thunder Racing was having PTV clearance with??? just noticed the TR224....Paul mentioned he had a TA with that problem.
What do u mean no lockup? Just curious...

The Patriot 243's seem to be working great! It could be my emagination, but I think the exhaust sounds deeper now. It sounds badass!

I'm not the car TR was talking about, but I know what situation ur referring to. I had .130 PTV clearance on the intake so I'm perfectly fine on clearance even w/ a cometics .045. Those heads could have been older ones maybe? Make SURE you check PTV clearance though. It's a very important number to know.

99SilverZ, that plug wire in the back of the passanger side is pretty easy to get to from underneath btw. I'll double check coil packs though.

HartAttack, thanks for the ideas! I'm gonna double check all the plug wires too. I never had the fuel rails off and the plugs are the old ones w/ 15k on them. They should be fine.

Slow00Ls1Ta, I'm thinking that's exactly it. I had that code from my cam install so hopefully a tune will get rid of it.
Old 06-23-2006, 02:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Update: I got a free scan by Autozone and it was random misfires. Thanks GuitsBoy for the reccomendation! I hope a tune will take that out. I plan on buying EFI Live soon.
Old 06-23-2006, 02:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Xtnct00WS6
Update: I got a free scan by Autozone and it was random misfires. Thanks GuitsBoy for the reccomendation! I hope a tune will take that out. I plan on buying EFI Live soon.
Double check all your plug wires as this is a VERY common cause for misfires. Other than that, big cams just thrown random misfire codes, especially in the heat, and doubly so if you have the a/c on. Could also set the MAP efficiency code if you idle at better than 60 MAP.
Old 06-23-2006, 05:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Xtnct00WS6
Well I just got it scanned and it's P0300 which is Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire. So I guess I just need a good tune. Anyone else get this on a head install?
I had the exact same problem after my heads install. The tuner guy said no problem, and change some threshold thingee.